Pancake Disasters

Reaction score
So now that I am really getting into learning how to cook and bake I have tried all of the basics at this point, but pancakes are my weakness. Pancakes should be simple, and only take a couple minutes. Not in my case! I follow the directions on the bag perfectly for creating the mix, and that's where things go bad. They always crumble in the pan, fall apart, and never cook all the way through, and the rare occasion that they do cook all the way they immediately burn. Pancakes should be so simple but I just can't figure them out. Help!

Reaction score
The key is letting it rest for about 3 or 4 minutes before you put the batter on the griddle. This gives the clumps more time to absorb the moisture and fall apart. Also, don't turn the heat up on the griddle. That's probably causing your pancakes to be burnt. A medium heat setting should be fine. Good luck! ;)

Reaction score
I don't usually use mix, so I don't know if that might be a factor, but I also never bother letting my mix sit (I am very impatient).

You could add some mashed banana for extra moisture.

Reaction score
I cannot make a pancake at all, and I mean it. My 16 year old makes them perfect, so we have her do it! LOL I am a big pancake fail. They are either burnt or not cooked.

Reaction score
I wanted to visit this after seeing the title. I can't cook them for the life of me. Glad to see I am not the only one who has difficulties. I have been using a pan and not a griddle, but I need to hear more on how to avoid the burnt/raw dichotomy.

Reaction score
The hardest thing about pancakes is leaving them aloe and allowing them to cook thoroughly on one side before flipping them over. You have to wait until you see little bubbles appear on the surface, and the edges turn golden brown. Then you know it is age to turn your pancake over. Keep your temperature at medium high , that way they don't cook to fast or too slow.

Reaction score
I had the same problem baking pancakes in the oven as it is commonly expected to get them done, but I found a workaround buying a Betty Crocker's Brownie and Loaf Cake Factory.

Of course this machine produces small-sized pancakes, but keeping in mind that I only bake for myself, I have no problem with this, and happens that my family, friends or occasional guests also enjoy them because they think this that small pancakes are a more original serving rather than having a slice of a regular one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cook them on a lower heat for a longer period of time to prevent it from scorching on the outside and being raw on the inside.

Reaction score
The hardest thing about pancakes is leaving them aloe and allowing them to cook thoroughly on one side before flipping them over. You have to wait until you see little bubbles appear on the surface, and the edges turn golden brown. Then you know it is age to turn your pancake over. Keep your temperature at medium high , that way they don't cook to fast or too slow.

exactly! Great tips. those little bubbles are your friends on the pancake! LOL My problem is my stove is so old that parts cook faster than other parts of the pancake, so I am constantly flipping or rotating.

Reaction score
It sounds like you have the heat up too high if they are going from under cooked to burnt right away. For some strange reason, the first batch of pancakes never seem to come out a nice golden brown, yet the rest of them do afterwards. You should let the batter rest for a few minutes before using it, so the flour can soak up the moisture and all the ingredients can incorporate more. That's the time to let the pan heat up and get up to temperature. When you pour the batter on to the pan, if it is hot enough it should help keep the batter from spreading out too much. You just need to wait for the batter start to bubble a bit and when you see a slight golden color around the edges - that's when it is time to flip them. Once you flip them they should puff up slightly then begin to settle down. When they start to settle down, that is about the time they are done.

Reaction score
Well, I had some of the same problems and still do on occasion. All the advice you've gotten is pretty sound. Medium to lower heat (I'd say no more than 5 on your range) and allow the pan to get warm for a couple of minutes first. Don't flip until you start to see the bubbling of the batter on the pan/griddle. Keep the pan either buttered or sprayed if it's not a non-stick pan.

Reaction score
The only issue with my pancakes is that they turn out too thick. For some reason I'm incapable of making a normal thin pancake.
The pancakes taste fine, but they're an inch thick. Maybe I'm not putting enough liquid in the mix.

Reaction score
The only issue with my pancakes is that they turn out too thick. For some reason I'm incapable of making a normal thin pancake.
The pancakes taste fine, but they're an inch thick. Maybe I'm not putting enough liquid in the mix.

It could be that you are putting too much leavening agent in your batter. Try reducing the amount of baking power you add to your mix. If that does not work try making your batter thinner.

Reaction score
Absolutely! Thinner batter should take care of it. If you're doing your own mix then less baking powder. If you're using a ready-made mix, just measure out a little more water. I'm not an amazing pancake chef, so it's just mixes for me. ;)

Ask a Question