Pie Crusts

Reaction score
I also noticed you are using metal pie pans and not glass. This may also be a result of tough crust, as metal and glass bake differently.

I found this online.....you might try it......

Recipe: Never Fail, Very Best Pie Crust
By Mary Pallister

This recipe I developed because of always getting tough crusts. Tough crust happens because of using all-purpose flour that has gluten. Gluten is wonderful in breads, but not in a pie crust. I have given this recipe to my students in Cake Decorating Class and they have said it is the very best recipe for a pie crust, so out there in cyber space, enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups cake flour/pastry flour OR 3 cups cake flour/pastry flour and 3 cups rice flour*
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups lard OR 1 cup lard and 1 cup butter**
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cold water
*These flours have little to no gluten
**Crisco is Hydrogenated (deadly) don't use it

Directions:
Mix altogether in mixer with dough hook, let rest in fridge. for 30 minutes, then use as needed. This recipe can be frozen and thawed several time with no ill effect on the pie crust, it stays flakey.

Servings: 2 double pie crusts
Time: 20 Minutes Preparation Time

Reaction score
will that fill a deep dish pie pan Diane ? I only have the one :)

I'm not sure if I should have pre baked it at all

That's all I have, too. I just add a pinch more of each ingredient and stretch it out to fit the oversized pan. I haven't made one from scratch in a while, but I don't recall having any more issues with this recipe than I do with others, or even with the pre-made crusts I've purchased. I end up stretching those out to fit my dish, too.

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about the different pans? I like using pyrex because I have found it to cook better but metal IS cheaper :)

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about the different pans? I like using pyrex because I have found it to cook better but metal IS cheaper :)

There’s pros and cons for each material

Metal pros
  • Heats fast
  • Can be place hot preheated cookie sheet
  • Cools fast so more convenient for blind baking
Metal cons
  • Can’t see when the bottom crust is baked
  • Scratches easily with a knife

Glass pros
  • heats slower, but conducts heat better once it heats up
  • Can see when the bottom crust is baked
  • Doesn’t scratch easily with a knife

Glass cons
  • Cannot place it on a hot cookie sheet
  • Known to scatter in the oven or when placed on a cold surface out of the oven
  • Smooth surfaces causes more crust shrinkage

Ceramic pros
  • Very attractive designs
  • Doesn’t scratch easily with a knife
  • Freezer to oven safe

Ceramic cons
  • Heaviest of all pie plates
  • Slow to heat, so soggy bottom crust is more common in ceramic
  • Usually much larger than standard pie plate, so recipes need to be scaled for the larger size
  • Smooth surface promotes crust shrinkage

Reaction score
Shocked to see so many people post that they buy their pastry... seems so strange to me. I always make my own unless it's puff pasty, because let's be honest, who has time for that?

Ask a Question