Selling your baked goods from home.

Reaction score
Hi There! Wondering If anyone else sells baked goods from home. I started a few months ago and It's going well. I'm just wondering about my pricing, I'm afraid I'm undercharging. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reaction score
My husband's brother used to sell morning bread in their village. They bought a big oven, a commercial size, and they do the dough themselves. However, it took its toll on their health since the making of the dough is after midnight and the baking is at dawn so they can deliver the morning bread to the neighbors by 6am. With the pricing, you just have to make a survey on the existing market prices particularly in bakeshops nearest your place. Good luck.

Reaction score
I don't sell anything but I have wondered what it would be like. The only thing I could sell with my whole heart would be my banana bread because it is that good. About the pricing, I would look to see what my competitors are doing and use competitive pricing. Of course if I am adding some added feature I'd price with that in mind.

Reaction score
What are you charging, and how are you selling them in boxes or in cellophane? A general rule is to add on 100 percent and then a small amount for things like the packaging.

You can always discount fro bulk purchases instead to keep the prices reasonable.

Reaction score
I would love to be able to do this. I believe it's illegal here though. I think you have to have a certified kitchen in order to sell food items. I've often wondered about "renting" a kitchen from a restaurant/shop on their off hours though. I'd love to sell what I make (food I mean, not just craft stuff).

Reaction score
There are people here who do sell home cooked and baked food items. They do it via the Facebook groups and probably Craigslist, as well as word of mouth. As @Zyni mentioned, that type of activity is regulated in some places, and from what i understand, it is where I live. Friends and I had discussed baking and selling some treats at our almost annual garage sales, but since there are people who enjoy calling code enforcement from the city for various reasons if they have a slight grudge, we decided to give away the items instead, to attract customers. Good luck on your venture. I would just caution you to check out the regulations where you live first, to avoid legal headaches.

Reaction score
I don't sell my stuff from home - to me my baking is really a hobby and not a money making thing - I think I would stress out way too much if I was baking for profit!

I do sometimes donate things for my husbands work bake sales and things like that, but I don't feel pressured or anything to do it - it's just for fun :)

Reaction score
There are people here who do sell home cooked and baked food items. They do it via the Facebook groups and probably Craigslist, as well as word of mouth. As @Zyni mentioned, that type of activity is regulated in some places, and from what i understand, it is where I live. Friends and I had discussed baking and selling some treats at our almost annual garage sales, but since there are people who enjoy calling code enforcement from the city for various reasons if they have a slight grudge, we decided to give away the items instead, to attract customers. Good luck on your venture. I would just caution you to check out the regulations where you live first, to avoid legal headaches.

Ugh, I can't stand busybodies like that.

I have known people who have sold food that they made at home, but I'd always be afraid of getting caught or getting sued or something. If it were allowed, I would definitely do it.

Ask a Question