Store bought vs. Scratch

Reaction score
Actually I make my own pie crust, despite I used to buy it from the store in the past because of practicability having the crust at hand anytime, but eventually I learned that I can make a series of crusts from the scratch and store them into the fridge until they are needed.

Reaction score
Premade pie crust just does not taste the same or have the same great texture. Buying crust is also much more costly than making it youself. However when short on time or in a pinch there is nothing wrong with premade store bought pie crust.

Reaction score
I am not a scratch dough maker. I prefer the store brought kind. My mother in law makes her dough from scratch and it seems to need some sugar or something. I don't want to hurt her feelings or make her mad, but it is not all what she thinks it is.

Reaction score
Homemade crust wins for me. My daughter taught me how easy it is to make. Ever since, I have not purchased a store bought, unless a last minute pie needed to be made in a jiffy.

The freshness, flavor, and baking qualities are far superior. Maybe is not any cheaper, but it is worth the time that it takes to be made.

Reaction score
I like to make my crust from scratch, but I often find it difficult to roll out thin enough. People still seem to devour my pies, so I guess I do a fine job. I usually make my own crust when I make my famous chocolate pies. It is a family tradition. However, when I am in a rush I will use a store bought crust.

Reaction score
I buy my crusts if they are a regular pastry pie like apple or peach, I have never perfected the crust and I would rather focus my baking on things that I know will turn out great. I do make my own graham cracker crusts for cheesecakes and different desserts however.

Reaction score
I've found that store bought crust is disgusting. There is zero flavor to them and they are so crumbly that they can't even hold up at times. I would rather do it from scratch and get it right the first time.

Reaction score
I prefer homemade crust. Here's a good recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold butter
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Preparation:

Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Cut the butter with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough water with fork until flour is moistened.

Divide your dough in half. Roll each half into a ball and then flatten slightly. Wrap each ball of dough in plastic and refrigerate. Remove dough when ready to use.

Reaction score
I always try to make everything from scratch, including pie dough. It doesn't take that much longer to make and roll out your dough.
As other folks have already pointed out above, there is also a big difference in terms of taste. Anything homemade tastes so much better than anything made in a store. You can't beat scratch for taste.

Reaction score
The first ever "pie" I made was a chicken pot pie and I used a homemade dough. It turned out perfect. I usually have every intention to make more homemade doughs but I tend to overdo things or misjudge my timing and have to resort to a store bought one.

The day before my boyfriend and I were going to his father and step-mother's house for Christmas I decided to make some Naniamo bars, Count Chocula Krispy squares, no bake cookies, a cherry cheese cake and an apple pie. By the time I had gotten to the apple pie I was in no mood to make a pie crust. Plus, I had run out of flour and was in no mood, at that time, to go to the grocery store.

I was thankful I bought a store bought crust "just in case." I made the pie and went to bed. That's normally how it goes though. I need to learn to focus on a couple items and not try and please everyone's tastes.

Reaction score
Neither, actually. I don't really fancy pie. Though I would like to know how to make successful crust, just to say I can. You never know when you will need to take one to a pot luck, though.

Reaction score
I like to make my own but there are occasions when I just don't have the time for all the steps and will revert to the next best option, Trader Joe's frozen pie crust. I have received lots of compliments when serving a pie made with that crust because it's flavorful, light and flaky, almost as good as homemade, almost. They are only sold during the holidays so I keep a couple in my freezer for last minute needs during the off season.

Reaction score
I usually like to make it from scratch using butter, coconut oil, or homemade lard. I've been trying to stay away from the vegetable (soy) shortenings that all of the store bought ones are made of.

Ask a Question