What kind of flour do you use?

Reaction score
I was wondering if I am the only one who tries to avoid GM wheat. There appears to be a sharp increase in the number of people who are adversely effected by gluten; and it has been attributed to the change in wheat over the past decade. I use red wheat in most of my breads, and have even thought of using it in my bran muffins. Has anyone else used it for other baking?

Reaction score
I use a mixture of different flours, depending on what I am baking. I use the self rising flour when I am just making something that is in a hurry, and don't want to bother with all the measuring and mixing.
When I am making bread, then I use whole wheat flour, and I usually grind up some fresh wheat berries, and add those to the bread.

Reaction score
It depends on what I'm baking. When I bake cakes and cookies I use All Purpose White Flour. When I make breads I use a combination of wheat and white flour, the wheat helps make the bread lighter.

Reaction score
Right now, my flours are all gluten free, but I was just thinking last night I would use today to research wheats/flours. I read about the change over the years and how ours is much different than our grandparents etc. Then I read there is wheat still much like what once was.. so I'm going to look into it. I doubt I'll ever bake as easily as I once did, but there's got to be an easier way than what the GF crowds are dealing with. I do enjoy the experimenting though.

Reaction score
I tend to buy organic flour and the type can vary. If I am going for some type of oatmeal cookie or a nut cake. Then I would get a flour that has whole grains and is made out of certain things. Generally, I just buy organic all purpose flour and other varieties if I want to mix it up.

Reaction score
I tend to bake with gluten free flour. This flour contains no gluten in it. I have been trying gluten free ingredients a lot. They taste really good too. I bake with cake or all purpose flour often. In the past I baked with all purpose flour all of the time.

Reaction score
Most often I buy a flour called "Selecta. " It's just regular white flour. I used to buy whole wheat flour a lot but, I tend to have a lot more success with white flour. I have some oat flour in the fridge that I use from time to time.

I would prefer to cook with gluten free flours; they're just not readily available here. If I make it to the organic market on Saturday morning I could probably find it but, I would worry about how old it is. It's not uncommon to have expired items for sale here. Furthermore, the organic and gluten free products are not quite popular here. It's getting there though.

Reaction score
It depends on the recipe. For most of my life, I've used self-rising flour. Nowadays, for health reasons, I switch up this powder with wheat flour. Both of them work all right in baking recipes. You can't really taste the difference.

picmy9eXH.jpg

Reaction score
I use ONLY non GMO flour, and even started growing and grinding my own wheat. If I want a light, white flour, though, I buy one that is certified GMO free. Personally, I think the GMO is more to blame than gluten is for most of the problems people are having with flours. Time frame fits too for when the problems all started.

This is the first year I will be growing 3 different kinds of wheat, and one of them will be red wheat berries. So.. I'll let you know in about 8 months!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've been into Kamut flour recently. I use it to make killer beer bread. I'm not fussy about organic, gluten-free or GMO.

Reaction score
If you knew the dangers of GMO you'd be concerned. It is why I am baking everything and cooking everything from scratch. From crackers to corn tortillas. I don't like eating agent orange.

GMO's are likely behind the sudden rash of people that are having problems with gluten.

I should be thankful for it though, I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed baking and how much better it tastes than store bought.

Ask a Question