What's Changed?

Reaction score
I made my first custom cake when I was 16 and then went about the task of teaching myself cake decorating. I was a custom cake decorator from the time I was 21 and I'm still doing it! But a lot has changed over the years.... trends, recipes, what customers are looking for, etc.

Back in the day, I rarely used fondant. First, it's not that tasty. Second, if you don't have a pretty steady hand, you can make a mess of things pretty easily.

Another change... when did Rice Krispy treats become cake?? lol

Years ago yellow cake and german chocolate where the flavors of choice by most people. Now it seems white cake is prevelent over yellow, and a more fudgy chocolate is preferred.

I used to have customers order wedding cakes, "thick on the frosting." Now we have "naked" or "destructured" cakes.

What changes have you noticed or how have your tastes in cakes changed over the years?

Reaction score
For a while now after I been on a healthy diet I changed how I bake and cook, especially baking.
I use coconut oil to replace the butter in most of my recipes and I been using different flour to substitute the all- purpose flour and so far they are pretty tasty.

Reaction score
For a while now after I been on a healthy diet I changed how I bake and cook, especially baking.
I use coconut oil to replace the butter in most of my recipes and I been using different flour to substitute the all- purpose flour and so far they are pretty tasty.

I do notice people are looking for healthier options without giving up flavor. Years ago, you would have never seen a gluton free cake or cookie mix, but most grocery stores have them now.

Oil works pretty well and so does applesauce. What types of flour are you using?

Reaction score
I’ve noticed these baking trend have gone in a very unhealthy direction. I live in the California wine country. Food here leans toward organic, fresh, real.

I know in this part of the liberal/tree hugging/socially conscious country we tend to overthink food. And I admit, there alot of pretentiousness around food. And I admit I can be a bit of a food snob. :eek:

So I rarely use fondant. I never use shortening. I refuse to bake a red velvet anything as it’s nothing more than a chocolate cake with two bottles of red food dye. I go easy on sugar. I use organic whenever possible. I buy locally produced organic dairy for eating and baking. When asked to bake for others, I’m very conscientious about the ingredients I use. Food snob—yep, guilty.

The one trend that really concerns me is the drip cake that’s piled high with candy and cookies. The extreme excess of it is jarring. There’s no appreciation for nuance. It’s beyond extreme.

I guess too I’m old school. Like you, I’m from the generation of the German chocolate cake. In fact I was feeling quite nostalgic recently so I baked a German chocolate cake.

Do you remember the pink champagne cake? To me that was the special occasion cake. I think I should try to develop a pink champagne cake recipe. Fill it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream and mascarpone icing. Simple indulgence. We need a return to simple indulgence.

Reaction score
I think my outlook to baking hasn't really changed much, but my abilities have improved over time and I like to try new things. My view has always been that you should eat unhealthy things in moderation, so I tend to make things that can be frozen (and therefore don't need to be eaten up quickly!). I have friends with various allergies, and my husband has become allergic to milk, so I enjoy experimenting with different ingredients. It's certainly a good challenge when I'm cooking for a variety of different requirements at the same time!

I use coconut oil to replace the butter in most of my recipes

Go easy on the coconut oil, it's not healthier than butter. It has a massive amount of saturated fat - far higher than butter, beef dripping or lard. Weird that it is marketed as a healthy alternative! Obviously there are other reasons to make the switch - if you're vegan, can't eat dairy, etc - but health should not be one of them as it's bad for your heart. If you're looking for a healthy fat then maybe give something like olive oil a try :)

Do you remember the pink champagne cake? To me that was the special occasion cake. I think I should try to develop a pink champagne cake recipe. Fill it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream and mascarpone icing. Simple indulgence. We need a return to simple indulgence.

Yum, that sounds wonderful! :D

Reaction score
Oh yes I love butter and I use it when I can in my baking only but coconut oil is a good alternative for me, I have noticed that I don't gain any weight when I eat baked goods that is made with coconut oil.
Olive oil is everything to me when I cook, I don't think I used butter in my cooking for almost a year now.

Reaction score
I’ve noticed these baking trend have gone in a very unhealthy direction. I live in the California wine country. Food here leans toward organic, fresh, real.

I know in this part of the liberal/tree hugging/socially conscious country we tend to overthink food. And I admit, there alot of pretentiousness around food. And I admit I can be a bit of a food snob. :eek:

So I rarely use fondant. I never use shortening. I refuse to bake a red velvet anything as it’s nothing more than a chocolate cake with two bottles of red food dye. I go easy on sugar. I use organic whenever possible. I buy locally produced organic dairy for eating and baking. When asked to bake for others, I’m very conscientious about the ingredients I use. Food snob—yep, guilty.

The one trend that really concerns me is the drip cake that’s piled high with candy and cookies. The extreme excess of it is jarring. There’s no appreciation for nuance. It’s beyond extreme.

I guess too I’m old school. Like you, I’m from the generation of the German chocolate cake. In fact I was feeling quite nostalgic recently so I baked a German chocolate cake.

==============================

I have mixed emotions about this. While I love eating organic, it's very expensive here (Buffalo, NY). Also, I think if someone buys one of those over the top cakes, hopefully it's for a special occasion and not something people eat all the time. I have to admit I love red velvet, but I use half a bottle and it's just fine without more food color than that. I've also made it other colors as well.

Your recipe for Pink Champagne cake sounds wonderful! I like simplicity myself. I'm not a fan of frosting. Not a fan of cake either. But one simple creampuff with homemade filling... perfect!

Reaction score
Oh yes I love butter and I use it when I can in my baking only but coconut oil is a good alternative for me, I have noticed that I don't gain any weight when I eat baked goods that is made with coconut oil.
Olive oil is everything to me when I cook, I don't think I used butter in my cooking for almost a year now.

I prefer sesame oil myself for cooking/sauteing. For cakes, I make all different ones, but I'm not a cake eater, so I make what the customer wants.

Reaction score
I love sesame oil but its is very strong and it does not work with everything, each recipe is unique and it needs different flavoring to achieve the right flavor.

Reaction score
==============================

I have mixed emotions about this. While I love eating organic, it's very expensive here (Buffalo, NY). Also, I think if someone buys one of those over the top cakes, hopefully it's for a special occasion and not something people eat all the time. I have to admit I love red velvet, but I use half a bottle and it's just fine without more food color than that. I've also made it other colors as well.

Your recipe for Pink Champagne cake sounds wonderful! I like simplicity myself. I'm not a fan of frosting. Not a fan of cake either. But one simple creampuff with homemade filling... perfect!

Yes, the price of organic is ridiculous! But living in an agricultural community I see all the spraying of chemicals. Right out my backdoor is the neighbor’s vineyard. The growing season just started, and already they’ve sprayed. :(

Reaction score
@Cooking from your heart you can start a new topic by going to the main forum (ie the homepage), clicking on the subforum in which you want to post the topic, then clicking on the orange 'Post New Thread' button at the top of the page. If you have any problems let me know and I'll help :)

Ask a Question