Why won't my cake batter puff up?

Reaction score
Despite following the recipe meticulously, my cake batter refuses to rise during baking. I've tried adjusting oven temperatures and checking the expiration date of my baking powder. Seeking advice from the baking community to troubleshoot this mysterious flat cake issue! thanks

Reaction score
Despite following the recipe meticulously, my cake batter refuses to rise during baking. I've tried adjusting oven temperatures and checking the expiration date of my baking powder. Seeking advice from the baking community to troubleshoot this mysterious flat cake issue! thanks
post the recipe, never heard of this.

Test the BP, put a tbsp of cold water in a cup and stir in 1/8 teaspoon of BP, it should form bubbles afetr 15 seconds, not a lot but they should be visible.
Then put it in the microwave for 15 seconds, it should foam up like alka seltzer almost.

like this.
20240121_195842.jpg

Reaction score

please post the recipe with ingredients list, mixing method, including ingredients’ temperature; mixing instructions; type of bakeware; baking instructions. Not knowing what type of cake (creamed cake; chiffon cake; oil cake, etc); type and temperature of ingredients, and how batter was mixed and baked, it is impossible to help troubleshoot.

Reaction score
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

Reaction score
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
if the baking powder tested good then it was assembled wrong.
machine paddle beat the butter and sugar into a fluffy batter and add the eggs one by one.
its actually easier using a hand elec mixer.
after all the eggs are in fold the dry ingredients and buttermilk by thirds, fold in 1/3 flour then 1/3 buttermilk...and so on.

if i get a chance i'll make a batch later,

Reaction score
heres how I write recipes so theres no confusion how to mix.

mix to a soft batter.
8oz butter
10oz sugar
4 eggs , one by one...
vanilla,

sift
8.5oz flour
1.5 tsp BP
.5 tsp BS.

Fold into batter in 1/3rds alternating with 1 cup buttermilk in thirds.

PS its in the oven at 340 and definitely rising.

Last edited:
Reaction score
35 minutes, the first one is out, it almost doubles in size.
Theres nothing wrong with the recipe.

20240125_184923.jpg
20240125_184923.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk

What was the temperature of your ingredients?

What mixing method did you use?

What size pans did you use?

What was the temperature of your oven and did you use an oven thermometer to confirm the temperature before baking?

Your issue with low volume could be caused by a number of different reasons.

Incorrect temperature of ingredients: if you use the creaming method and the butter was too warm, the batter will not expand properly.

Too high finished batter temperature: Finished batter should be 68°F. If you start with butter, eggs, and/or liquids that are too warm, the finished batter temperature is going to be too high.

Overmixing: overmixing in creaming and/or flour will result in low volume.

Cake pan size: not enough batter for the size cake pan used. An single 8” pan needs approximately 700 g batter, depending on the type of cake and ingredients used. Cake made with AP flour has lower rise than a cake made with cake flour. A cake foam cake (made with whipped egg whites) will rise more than a creamed cake.

Not enough liquid: too stiff a batter will result in low volume

Too much liquid: too thin a batter results in low rise as it is too weak to expand and set properly.

Whenever you have any problem in baking, you have to look at all the variables that go into creating that particular product.

============

The example cake posted was improperly baked. The dark metal coated pan conducted too much heat causing the cake to form a thick hard dry crust on sides and a domed top.

The domed top is a result of the sides baking and setting too fast. After the sides set, the raw center continued to bake and rise, causing the dome. The overly browned top with thick crust indicates the over chamber was too hot.
IMG_4972.jpeg

Properly baked cake is level and does not have a dry hard crust

IMG_0501.png

When sliced, cake should not have hard dry brown crust between layer.
IMG_2014.jpeg

Doesn’t matter the type of cake, it shouldn't have a hard dry crust and it should be level. The entire cake, inside and out should be soft.
IMG_6984.jpeg

Reaction score
maybe you don't know the difference but you posted a photo of trimmed white cake,
try making the recipe he posted.

Reaction score
we ate the cake pan cake right out of the mold, its so moist it needs nothing.
made a boston cream pie with the pie pan cake, very soft and moist.
I'll give it to my neighbor.

Ask a Question