Wild vs Store Bought Yeast & English Muffin Woes

Reaction score
I'm mostly looking for some good resources to educate myself on the general science or chemistry of bread.

That said:

I am not a scientist or a chemist. They were my least favorite subjects in school. Now that I'm older, (much older), I wish I would have paid more attention.
I am a senior (61) who loves to learn new things. I brewed beer for several years, (fascinating, but expensive hobby). I experimented with roasting coffee beans. I've dabbled in water chemistry (for both of those hobbies, as well as now bread making).

I spent several months trying to learn about artisan sourdough bread. I bought the bannetons, a couple different lames, 2 dutch ovens, and a pantry full of flours and seeds. At first I assumed I didn't like artisan sourdough because I was doing it wrong. After I became fairly proficient and experimented with several different formulae, and eventually came to the conclusion that I just don't like artisan sourdough bread. Friends and family loved it, so I still make it occasionally.

My newest obsession has been English Muffins. Specifically, sourdough English Muffins, and more specifically, sourdough and buttermilk English Muffins. I have a vigorous 100% hydration starter and I keep a jug of buttermilk I started from an heirloom culture going. I was following (sort of) a King Arthur recipe I found. I made a few tweaks. I substitute sugar for Dry Malt Extract, (which I used to build yeast starters back in my brewing days). I've been experimenting trying to find a less time-consuming and labor intensive method. However, not fully understanding the science and chemistry behind everything makes it hit or miss. Just when I think I understand a concept I come up with another batch of hockey pucks. There is a plethora of information available online, however most of it seems to contradict. One source says NEVER do this and the next source says ALWAYS do that.

This last batch was:
290g of bread flour (13.7% protein)
10g Vital Wheat Gluten
200g Spelt flour
350g buttermilk (heated to 95-100F)
170g active sourdough starter
25g DME
10g salt

I mixed it, kneaded by hand for roughly 5-6 minutes, placed it in a lightly greased bowl covered with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter (about 73F) for 12 hours. It was definitely doubled in size, (maybe a little more). I then heated 2 cast iron pans up on the stove. I flattened the dough out to a 1/2" thick and cut 3" round muffins, covered those and allowed them to rest for 1 hour. They didn't rise. I placed them in the dry cast iron pans heated to medium heat and covered the pans. The 4 muffins in one pan seemed to rise (slightly) and got dark, (nearly burnt), very fast. I continued to turn them over every 2 to 3 minutes until the internal temp was 195F. The other pan didn't rise and the muffins barely had any color. Both are 10" cast iron pans and both burners were set the same.

The end result, they more dense than I like, they didn't rise as much as I like, and they have A LOT more tang than I like. The old recipe I followed called for sourdough starter "discard," (not active), and it also called for Dry Active Yeast. I also used half buttermilk and half water and allowed the dough to sit in the fridge for 2 days. I didn't cut them, I used English muffin rings. I colored them on an electric griddle at 350F and then finished them to 195F in a 350F oven. A LOT more work, but they came closer to what I was trying to achieve; more rise, lighter, fluffier with the signature nooks and crannies, and just a very slight (English Muffin-y) tang.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question