Your favorite savory baked goods

Reaction score
We all seem to love a great deal of sweet baked goods (as it should be -- sweets are delicious!) but I'm trying to branch out and expand my baking a bit, and try some more savory recipes for baked goods as opposed to sweet all the time.

I love making savory muffins with things like cheese, spinach, red peppers, corn, and whatever other veggies I have on hand - and those are a hit with my little one, too!

Do you have a favorite savory baked good? Care to share the recipe with me? :)

Reaction score
Cornbread Muffin Cake with Bacon
Mashed potatoes for "frosting"
Decorated with brown gravy and fried chicken wings

6ea6c21f640df875b06d46606ea74aa2.jpg

Reaction score
My granny used to make this and I would make myself sick on eating as much as I could...

Broccoli Cheese Cornbread

a1f2a5b3ef111c3300711095297d85d6.jpg

Reaction score
that cornbread looks great Chester

It IS!!! Mmmmmm
I LOOOOVE cornbread!!! I love it more than regular bread!

My granny also used to make Chili Cheese Cornbread....which was just as addictive!!!!

She would dump in a can of chili and some minced onions and a jalapeno pepper!
OMG!!!!!! ****drool****

Reaction score
We all seem to love a great deal of sweet baked goods (as it should be -- sweets are delicious!) but I'm trying to branch out and expand my baking a bit, and try some more savory recipes for baked goods as opposed to sweet all the time.

I love making savory muffins with things like cheese, spinach, red peppers, corn, and whatever other veggies I have on hand - and those are a hit with my little one, too!

Do you have a favorite savory baked good? Care to share the recipe with me? :)
That sounds delicious! If you wouldn't mind sharing the recipe I would love to make those muffins some day!! :)

Reaction score
This just reminded me that it's been way too long since I made a quiche. I vary the ingredients in my quiches, but I will probably make a spinach and tomato one soon. Sometimes I'll use broccoli. If I don't have fresh tomatoes, I'll sometimes use canned diced tomatoes, with or without chilies.

Reaction score
I was wondering what to get at the store this weekend to make for lunch all next week, and I thought of quiche!!!

So I'm going to get some stuff to make spinach and turkey quiche. I think maybe it may be more of a casserole this time, as I don't think I will use a crust.

Reaction score
Well, this is what I made......I call it a casserole, but basically it is a crustless quiche. I made a lot so I will have lunch for work all week.

I put some mini red potatoes in mine, as you can see. There is some spinach in it too, but its on the bottom of the pan.

Crustless Quiche.jpg

Its got turkey, corn, peas, onion, spinach, mushrooms, and mini red potatoes I cut up. I poured an egg mixture of eggs, spices, salt, pepper, and a bit of chicken bouillon over it and then baked it covered for an hour.

Reaction score
It IS!!! Mmmmmm
I LOOOOVE cornbread!!! I love it more than regular bread!

My granny also used to make Chili Cheese Cornbread....which was just as addictive!!!!

She would dump in a can of chili and some minced onions and a jalapeno pepper!
OMG!!!!!! ****drool****

Oh man, I'm going to try that. I'll probably use homemade chili, but yeah, that sounds delish.

These are certainly some interesting ideas. I've never seen such fancy cornbread. The cupcake ones with jalapeno "frosting" are right up my alley. Jalapeno cornbread is win.

Reaction score
what kind of crust would you use with it to make it a quiche?

when you said some chicken bouillon over it,is it mixed with water first ? I ask because I've never used a cube of bouillon for anything :)

Reaction score
what kind of crust would you use with it to make it a quiche?

when you said some chicken bouillon over it,is it mixed with water first ? I ask because I've never used a cube of bouillon for anything :)

You can use just plain old pre-made pie crust from the store. Or you can use biscuit dough and roll it out thin for a pie or casserole dish.

I melted the bouillon cube in 1/4 cup of hot water and then let it cool down enough to mix in to the egg mixture so it wouldn't scramble the eggs, and then I poured it over.

Actually a quiche is supposed to have a lot more egg mixture, but I didn't get enough eggs...so thats why the pic really doesn't look "quiche" like.

Here is a good pic of a "correct" quiche--
Spinach-Quiche-with-cornmeal-crust-2.jpg

Now, Americans will make quiche in a pie shell like this picture.

Europeans make quiche in a tart mold.....like this one....
Image-4.jpg

Reaction score
well I am having major pie crust problems,but i did figure out how to make really good biscuits,it does lok better in the tart mold,but I don't have one of those

yet :)

Reaction score
well I am having major pie crust problems,but i did figure out how to make really good biscuits,it does lok better in the tart mold,but I don't have one of those

yet :)

Some people use cheesecake pans also. You can make a deeper crust and quiche that way.

Reaction score
Yum. I haven't eaten yet, and that quiche is making me hungry. I might have to make one. I'm pretty sure I have what I need to do it, if I use ready made crust. I know there is one in my freezer. Pie crust has never been my specialty.

Reaction score
I've made quiches in pie plates, but I do tend to use a tart pan more. I love mine, it's green and is spongeware pottery similar to this one pictured. For some reason, I love spongeware, and so it adds to the experience. It also looks amazing with a spinach quiche in it, since the pan is the same color as the spinach. The latest trend seems to be making crustless quiches, but I love pastry crust, so still make mine in a crust.

Attachments

• tart dish.jpg
    tart dish.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 374

Ask a Question