Your favorite savory baked goods

Reaction score
I've made quiches in pie plates, but I do tend to use a tart pan more. I love mine, it's green and is spongeware pottery similar to this one pictured. For some reason, I love spongeware, and so it adds to the experience. It also looks amazing with a spinach quiche in it, since the pan is the same color as the spinach. The latest trend seems to be making crustless quiches, but I love pastry crust, so still make mine in a crust.

I've never heard of "spongeware". Why is it called spongeware???

I've heard tell before, if you use a couple tablespoons of flour in your egg mixture when making a crust-less quiche, it will help the egg mixture make a crispy layer on the sides and bottom when baking.

I've had this once and it was pretty good.

Reaction score
i'm a bread person for sure,I don't care what is on the table,I want some bread some way some how with it :)

that does include pastry too,I need to branch out and try some better pastries other than pie crust :)

Reaction score
i'm a bread person for sure,I don't care what is on the table,I want some bread some way some how with it :)

that does include pastry too,I need to branch out and try some better pastries other than pie crust :)

If you want to learn to bake like a pro...........

Perfect the recipes mentioned below, and when you do....you can make anything.
Why? Because these are some of the top 10 hardest recipes to make.
You perfect the hardest recipes, then anything else is going to be as easy as...........well, um...."pie"!!!!

Baked Alaska
Croissants
Souffle

Reaction score
@ChesterV Here's a picture of a spongeware pitcher.
spongeware pitcher.jpg

I think it's called spongeware ( just my assumption here) because it looks as if one paint/glaze was put on, then another on top of it with a sponge, in either a purposeful or random pattern, so it doesn't cover the entire base color. For some reason, I've always been attracted to spongeware and also spatterware, like this colander (pic)
spatterware.jpg

Reaction score
but i'm not good at pie Chester :)

I am interested in some Croissants though

Perfecting Croissants will give you the expertise for working with specialty dough.
This will give you the means to create the perfect crust for pies.

Perfecting the Souffle will give you the expertise in creating something that is filled and also requires special handling and creativity. This will give you the means of making awesome pie fillings.

Perfecting the Baked Alaska will give you the expertise for time management on a constructed dessert, correct handling of it, and proper management of what you have to work with. This will give you the expertise you need to create pies of AAA+++ calibur.

Does that make sense?

I picked these specific "hard" recipes for you, so you will get the know how to work with pies the way you want, and for them to come out how you envision them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
@ChesterV Here's a picture of a spongeware pitcher. View attachment 615
I think it's called spongeware ( just my assumption here) because it looks as if one paint/glaze was put on, then another on top of it with a sponge, in either a purposeful or random pattern, so it doesn't cover the entire base color. For some reason, I've always been attracted to spongeware and also spatterware, like this colander (pic)View attachment 616 .

OH!!!! Ok. Yeah, if you had mentioned "splatterware", I would have understood. LOL

I used to do ceramics, and I also used sponges to paint and decorate pieces.....but we didn't call them spongeware.
LOL

Reaction score
@ChesterV Yes, apparently it goes by various names, including spongeware, spatterware, splatterware, etc. I actually have a few pieces labeled graniteware, as well. I don't know if the names originated in different places, or why it's called so many different things, but it's a pain when you're searching for it online, for sure.

Reaction score
@ChesterV Yes, apparently it goes by various names, including spongeware, spatterware, splatterware, etc. I actually have a few pieces labeled graniteware, as well. I don't know if the names originated in different places, or why it's called so many different things, but it's a pain when you're searching for it online, for sure.

I KNOW!!!

I had one H*** of a time trying to find one of these things.....

51rq79AcDtL._SY300_.jpg

I could NOT for the life of me remember what the h*** they are called!!

I finally found it listed as a "burner diffuser". LMAO

I hope I remember that!!!!! I lost my last one when I moved. I am having to move again soon, and I'm hoping I don't lose this one. If I do, I will have to replace it.

Reaction score
Perfecting Croissants will give you the expertise for working with specialty dough.
This will give you the means to create the perfect crust for pies.

Perfecting the Souffle will give you the expertise in creating something that is filled and also requires special handling and creativity. This will give you the means of making awesome pie fillings.

Perfecting the Baked Alaska will give you the expertise for time management on a constructed dessert, correct handling of it, and proper management of what you have to work with. This will give you the expertise you need to create pies of AAA+++ calibur.

Does that make sense?

I picked these specific "hard" recipes for you, so you will get the know how to work with pies the way you want, and for them to come out how you envision them.

I am going to start a thread that says Chesters home work :) and I will give each of these a try and see how it comes out

Reaction score
I am going to start a thread that says Chesters home work :) and I will give each of these a try and see how it comes out
I agree with you on the title of that thread but I suspect I'll get lots of detentions for not completing my assignments. When I saw the suggestion to perfect the hardest things first, I knew I was in the wrong class.

Reaction score
I agree with you on the title of that thread but I suspect I'll get lots of detentions for not completing my assignments. When I saw the suggestion to perfect the hardest things first, I knew I was in the wrong class.

LOL

But that's the point.
You learn the HARDEST things first.
After that, everything else is easier.

Reaction score

rats I still haven't made any Banana Bread yet Bella,it is just homework Bella,you know as well as I do,that it is better to hurry up and get it over with :)

Reaction score
rats I still haven't made any Banana Bread yet Bella,it is just homework Bella,you know as well as I do,that it is better to hurry up and get it over with :)
Or get your mom to send a sick paper a few days after you don't show up for school:). Don't stress about the banana bread. That's one of the simplest assignments and the reason why I bake it so often.

LOL

But that's the point.
You learn the HARDEST things first.
After that, everything else is easier.

I believe you:rolleyes: and maybe I run from these things because I never had a wonderful granny like you did.

You get to eat the homework. Funny!!!

Reaction score
I am all for the cornbread but frittata is also a great dish although I am not sure it can fall under this category. I make it in the oven so it is baked good in my books. Some Serbian pies are really good and I already talked about them in some of my earlier posts. Burek, gibanica, komplet lepinja. The last one I never talked about and I will try to explain it a bit.

Komplet lepinja ( The full Bun)

It is a simple dish that requires original ingredients to be good. So you can try this one only in Uzice. A city near Zlatibor mountain, and some other parts in that region.

You will need to make a bun that is hollow inside. You will cut the top and put inside a mixture of one egg and cream ( this one is all natural cream, made from organic milk etc.) You bake that until egg is done. Take it out, lift the cap and put some hot greese ( leftover after roasting pork or beef). It looks like this.

http://www.kuvarancije.com/images/stories/recepti/testo/2014/komplet-lepinja.jpg

Reaction score
I need more details djordjem :)

that looks great,is it like a big biscuit or a burger bun ? I know that there a bunch of different recipes for a bun

and what all is in it ?

Ask a Question