A newbie from Japan

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm Lara a Filipino from Japan. I've been working here for almost 10 years already as a Web Developer. I'm still studying baking pastries and other sweets by taking an online course.

I already have interest in baking before because my Mom always ask me to help her in baking when I was still living with her. When I finally decided that I will learn baking 4 years ago and bought an oven, my husband suddenly develop interest in baking bread. So, I just decided to let him study first before me. And then one day, we agreed that we will put up our own bakery cafe in the near future. Since he is already studying baking breads, I decided that I will focus on sweets and pastries.

And now, baking has become my hobby. I am so happy that I can now bake cakes, tart and other sweets on my own!

While studying the basics, I am also researching about baking with less sugar and calories. If you have any recommendations like books, websites, etc., please tell me.

Reaction score
Hi @artsylar, welcome to the forum. Where are you taking the online course? I have seen some Craftsy courses that sounded interesting, but haven't taken one yet. I know the local community college has offered classes in the past that caught my eye, but I mainly bake for myself these days. It sounds as if you have a sweet future planned, good luck!

Reaction score
Welcome...Here is a good place to start. You will get a wealth of information in this forum.

Reaction score
Hi @artsylar, welcome to the forum. Where are you taking the online course? I have seen some Craftsy courses that sounded interesting, but haven't taken one yet. I know the local community college has offered classes in the past that caught my eye, but I mainly bake for myself these days. It sounds as if you have a sweet future planned, good luck!

Hi @Diane Lane! I also saw Craftsy before. I'm thinking of taking course there also in the future after I finish the one I'm taking now. I'm taking the course from here http://www.happy-semi.com/sw/curri.html. It's all in Japanese though.

Ask a Question