A newbie in baking cake

Reaction score
I am planning to bake a cake this coming weekend because it is a long one (Monday is just declared a holiday here). My only experience in baking are simple baked goodies like pudding but not a cake. In fact, I haven't used flour yet so that clearly puts me in the category of a newbie, right? Now this question - what is the simplest and easiest cake to bake? But, of course, I want something fancy for my first try and not the usual upside down pineapple cake. Any suggestion?

Reaction score
I totally understand where your coming from. Confession time: I have never made a real homemade cake, I have always used boxed recipes! I am following this thread in hopes someone chimes in and has our answers! I would also love to learn how.

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "fancy".
Also depends on how much time you want to put into it, what kind of ingredients/flavors you like.

If you want something "fancy", easy to make, and makes most people happy.........
Make a cheesecake.

Reaction score
I think the easiest are the denser, stand alone ones such as quick breads, pound cakes, gingerbread, pumpkin ones and it is almost the fall season.
For first time cakes to be frosted, search then for 1-2-3-4 cake method ones until you find a recipe you like. It isn't difficult once you begin.

Ask a Question