Dark chocolate or milk chocolate?

Reaction score
What kind of chocolate do you use when baking do you go for milk chocolate or maybe dark chocolate? for me it all depends on what I am baking, over all I do prefer milk chocolate.

Reaction score
I like dark chocolate in things that are already sweet (like chocolate chip cookies) so I am with you it does depend on what I am making. Sometimes it depends who I am making it for and then I go with their preference.

If I was going to eat a piece, I would still go with the dark chocolate, a bit more exotic to me.

Reaction score
I like dark chocolate better in almost all instances, and it's not like I can't sweeten and add milk to it anyway ;)

Reaction score
I mostly use dark chocolate for baking and eating, although I think milk chocolate is better for some things - eg spread on top of a cake etc. I much prefer milk chocolate for making truffles, unless they include alcohol in which case I much prefer dark!

The thing I like about eating dark chocolate is that a smaller amount is more satisfying than milk chocolate - I like letting it melt in my mouth and savouring the flavour. YUM! :D

Reaction score
I mostly use dark chocolate for baking and eating, although I think milk chocolate is better for some things - eg spread on top of a cake etc. I much prefer milk chocolate for making truffles, unless they include alcohol in which case I much prefer dark!

The thing I like about eating dark chocolate is that a smaller amount is more satisfying than milk chocolate - I like letting it melt in my mouth and savouring the flavour. YUM! :D

True, it's also supposed to be better for you. You can have a few squares with your daily glass of red wine and call it a healthy meal! ;)

Reaction score
Looks like a majority of us here use dark chocolate and I'm happy to say that I too use dark chocolate to eat and to bake. I like the flavour of it; it's not too sweet and not too bitter, just right. It is also healthier than milk chocolate and I'm a little bit of a health nut when it comes to chocolates. But I'll admit that I indulge in milk chocolate once in a while. :D

Reaction score
Milk chocolate always! I really do not like the taste of dark chocolate.
When I buy chocolate chips, sometimes I buy the semi-sweet because they are not very yummy right out of the bag. If I buy the milk chocolate ones, I can eat the whole bag.

Reaction score
dark dark dark. But it depends on the brand. Hershey's eh, its ok. Girradelli (sp) much better. oh what a treat that is

Reaction score
I prefer dark chocolate, but it's probably because of my preference for slightly bitter things. For instance, I like coffee and often add no sugar to it to mask the bitterness. I've also found myself eating unsweetened cocoa sometimes, despite how bitter it is.

Reaction score
I prefer dark chocolate when baking. Usually all the butter, milk, cream and other stuff offsets the bitterness of the dark chocolate. Regular chocolate loses a lot of it's flavor when it's diluted with other ingredients.

Reaction score
Milk chocolate is definitely a favorite for me in baking. It tastes so much sweeter, which is my personal preference.

I don't like dark chocolate on it's own in a bar so maybe that has something to do with it as well, although overall I'm not opposed to in in baking; Just have my preference :D

Reaction score
I use dark chocolate mainly as I find some milk chocolate can cause the cake to split because of its fat content. I do use milk choc bits in cookies and I also like to use hersey coco powder as well.

Reaction score
I always go for the darker chocolate and then mix a little milk chocolate in for balance. The dark Chocolate seems to give a more enhanced flavored, and is said to be healthier.

Reaction score
It definitely depends on what I'm baking, but if I had my preference I would use dark chocolate in 90% of instances. To me it just has a richer, more satisfying taste and depth to it; but my husband, son and most of my family prefers milk and so I compromise a lot of the time for them.

Reaction score
Definitely dark chocolate. I need concentrated chocolate flavor and milk chocolate just doesn't cut it for me. I also think milk chocolate is too sweet.

Reaction score
I like eating dark chocolate, but if the recipe does not call for it, I will use milk chocolate.

Reaction score
While I can use dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or simply cocoa as per a particular recipe requirement, my favorite chocolate for baking (and also eating along) is dark chocolate.

I like strong flavors and where there is a chance from choosing between an ingredient with subtle taste or another bold flavored, I will always go for this latter.

Of course, this is my personal taste and many times one has to abide by your family or guests choices opting for the ingredient that pleases them, or doing a flavor balance mixing, like in this case, dark and milk chocolate for a given recipe.

Reaction score
I like the way you bake with chocolate. I love dark chocolate the best but no one in my family bakes with it. I have told them that is good for certain recipes, but I am the only ine who seems to like it.

Reaction score
I personally prefer a mix or milk and dark chocolate. As a rule of thumb, if I use milk chocolate I don't add a ton of sugar or any other too-sweet ingredients or it just gets sickening. I like the richness of dark chocolate, but the really really dark chocolate can be too much for me!

Reaction score
I prefer dark chocolate for eating and baking. Many people say that dark chocolate is slightly bitter, but it's not bitter to me. Milk chocolate is just too sweet for me.

Ask a Question