Flavored Icing

Reaction score
What is your favorite flavored icing recipe? I have recently found a strawberry buttercream icing that I am really wanting to try out that uses fresh strawberries. I haven't had the time to try it out yet, but I'm hoping to be able to make it over the weekend. I will definitely post the recipe and my thoughts on it once I make it.

It got me thinking about other flavors I could experiment with. We live in South Florida and have mango tress, so I thought I may attempt to alter the strawberry recipe and use fresh mango puree as well.

I would love to hear what others have tried and loved.

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a strawberry frosting person. As a child, I always wanted chocolate icing. Now I find chocolate frosting too sweet and overpowering. We use strawberry frosting on everything. It is my husband's favorite too. I've wondered about banana frosting or some combination. I always have overripe bananas.

Reaction score
I like making lemon buttercream. This goes great on a vanilla or white cake. I use the standard buttercream recipe and then add lemon zest and lemon extract. Orange frosting is something that I like to make to go on dark chocolate cake. I make the same way except I use orange zest and orange juice.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the classics, but I'm always up for trying new flavors as well. The mango sounds like it could be good, or maybe even a pineapple or passion fruit flavor. Not highly original or anything, but I *love* lavender and chocolate together.

Reaction score
For a simple flavored icing, I have added Jello mix to my basic powdered-sugar based icing. Not only does it add flavor, but you also get the color. I recently made an orange icing from a Jello mix that was delicious. You do have to be careful, though, because it can be very tangy and overpowering if you add too much. I have also used koolaid in the past too. My kids loved it, it was easy, and you have a ton of flavor options available!

Reaction score
I love cream cheese icing. I love all the traditional sweets you can eat with it too like red velvet cake; carrot cake; pumpkin bread; and chocolate cake.

Reaction score
I love the idea of creating your own icing using pureed mangoes :) I best it'd be so tasty! I do that all the time, but so far have only done it with strawberries. I love the flavor, because I no longer like my desserts to be so sweet, so the strawberry icing is perfect, because it's not a very sweet fruit and is a bit acidic!

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a strawberry frosting person. As a child, I always wanted chocolate icing. Now I find chocolate frosting too sweet and overpowering. We use strawberry frosting on everything. It is my husband's favorite too. I've wondered about banana frosting or some combination. I always have overripe bananas.

Oh my, banana icing sounds like a really delicious thing to try, specially on cupcakes! I once tried a banana flavored cupcake, it had banana icing and it was delicious! I'd love to try it as well, not sure about trying it on a cake, but for sure I'd like to try next time I make cupcakes.

Ask a Question