Fry bread

Reaction score
How many of you have made Fry Bread or have eaten Fry Bread... I first heard of and tried Fry Bread when I cam to Oklahoma. It is so could and it is so easy to make. How many of you have your own recipe for Fry Bread? I have heard that some people fry the bread and then roll it in butter and garlic, some roll it in powdered sugar or cinnamon. I like it either way it is so good and it fills you up.

Reaction score
Fry Bread sounds very interesting, yet delicious! I haven't heard of it but would not mind trying it. Do you have a recipe you would like to share? Is it a deep fry or a fast skillet fry? Years ago, my friend and I used to cut bread dough in small squares then dip them in hot oil. They would fluff up to a nice golden brown (or a little lighter in color). Then we sprinkled powdered sugar on them. It was more like a doughnut. Does this sound like what your Fry Bread?

Reaction score
If you fry them in coconut oil, they'll be a lot healthier (and taste even better). I haven't tried this before, but I will.

Years ago, my friend and I used to cut bread dough in small squares then dip them in hot oil. They would fluff up to a nice golden brown (or a little lighter in color). Then we sprinkled powdered sugar on them. It was more like a doughnut.

That sounds like a nice quick treat if you've got the dough already made. I'll have to keep this in mind, too!

Thanks for the ideas! :)
I'm going to gain so much weight just thinking about all of the ideas on this site. :p

Reaction score
Fry Bread sounds very interesting, yet delicious! I haven't heard of it but would not mind trying it. Do you have a recipe you would like to share? Is it a deep fry or a fast skillet fry? Years ago, my friend and I used to cut bread dough in small squares then dip them in hot oil. They would fluff up to a nice golden brown (or a little lighter in color). Then we sprinkled powdered sugar on them. It was more like a doughnut. Does this sound like what your Fry Bread?

Yes it does sound like the fry bread I make, there are many different ways to make it, easy, quick,inexpensive and really good! Here is a link to the fry bread that I sometimes make http://breadbaking.about.com/od/flatandpocketbreads/r/frybread.htm

Reaction score
I had some with honey at a Native American powwow last year, and it was quite tasty. (And then the skies opened up and rained the show out, and I had to huddle in the corner of a tent to keep my fry bread dry, hehe)

Reaction score
Glad to see there are others that like fry bread. It is so easy to make , inexpensive and can be made so many different ways!

Reaction score
I have never made my own fry bread , but I have eaten it from a stand at a fall festival, and it is incredibly delicious. Sometimes they serve it like an Elephant Ear, with a little butter and honey or jam, and that is really good.

My most favorite way to eat it is called an Indian Taco, which is fry bread with all the usual taco stuff on top, and sour cream and salsa over all...... It is way more than a meal, and if you like tacos, you will love an Indian Taco.

The fry bread they use is a regular bread recipe, so you could make it in the bread machine, and then cook it in a large fry pan with a little oil, and turn it like a pancake.

Reaction score
I have never made my own fry bread , but I have eaten it from a stand at a fall festival, and it is incredibly delicious. Sometimes they serve it like an Elephant Ear, with a little butter and honey or jam, and that is really good.

My most favorite way to eat it is called an Indian Taco, which is fry bread with all the usual taco stuff on top, and sour cream and salsa over all...... It is way more than a meal, and if you like tacos, you will love an Indian Taco.

The fry bread they use is a regular bread recipe, so you could make it in the bread machine, and then cook it in a large fry pan with a little oil, and turn it like a pancake.

I saw the Indian taco type fry bread on an episode of The Biggest Loser and it looked amazingly good. But I saw Jillian Michaels yelling and throwing it in the trash and calling the Indian tribe fat. I want to try it anyway.

Reaction score
Indian tacos are very good and fill you up really fast. They are really big and one taco can fill you up as a meal. You can fill them up with different things, and be able to feed the whole family with these tacos, they are very inexpensive and go a long way.

Reaction score
Indian tacos are very good and fill you up really fast. They are really big and one taco can fill you up as a meal. You can fill them up with different things, and be able to feed the whole family with these tacos, they are very inexpensive and go a long way.

Good to know. I'm always looking for ways to feed my growing teenager good, cheap dinners and stretch my dollars.I grew up poor and went hungry as a kid, so I always want to make sure to put good dinners on the table.
Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score

You're amazingly correct on that. My girlfriend is Native American from the Ojibwe tribe and I recently went to her home town to visit the family and of course, enjoy the legendary fry bread she always talks about. It's incredibly tasty for such a simple recipe and my gosh the Indian tacos are crazy filling. I'm a big guy and I could only eat one of them. From what my girlfriend's family told me though is that each family has their own "secret" recipe. I'm aching to learn though so thanks for sharing your link. I'll definitely check it out one of these days and compare and test until I have one I like.

Reaction score
You're amazingly correct on that. My girlfriend is Native American from the Ojibwe tribe and I recently went to her home town to visit the family and of course, enjoy the legendary fry bread she always talks about. It's incredibly tasty for such a simple recipe and my gosh the Indian tacos are crazy filling. I'm a big guy and I could only eat one of them. From what my girlfriend's family told me though is that each family has their own "secret" recipe. I'm aching to learn though so thanks for sharing your link. I'll definitely check it out one of these days and compare and test until I have one I like.

Thank you for your reply, and you are right there are so many different things to put in the tacos. I am like you I like to try all the different filings for the tacos until I find my favorite which could be hard because they are all good, as for the fry bread, I agree with you on that as well, it is a very simple and inexpensive recipe but oh, the taste is great, and there are so many ways of making that as well, I love me some fry bread anytime of the day or night.

Reaction score
I have a fry bread that my mom used whenever we would have tacos. It looks like your recipe except that there is no oil in the dough. We did use a little oil to fry it in the pan. I love this recipe and we would even put some taco seasoning in it for extra flavor. Here is my mom's recipe 3 cups flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 water. I think I will try your recipe though just to see the difference. Thanks for posting

Reaction score
Yes it does sound like the fry bread I make, there are many different ways to make it, easy, quick,inexpensive and really good! Here is a link to the fry bread that I sometimes make http://breadbaking.about.com/od/flatandpocketbreads/r/frybread.htm

I haven't heard about fry bread before, but after checking this recipe I'm realizing that it's really easy and fast to prepare, so I will try it this afternoon.

I'm stuck at home and can't really go out to buy some bread and somewhat unwilling to turn on the oven just for a loaf to eat today, so this fry bread can be a better alternative to me, particularly today.

Reaction score
How many of you have made Fry Bread or have eaten Fry Bread... I first heard of and tried Fry Bread when I cam to Oklahoma. It is so could and it is so easy to make. How many of you have your own recipe for Fry Bread? I have heard that some people fry the bread and then roll it in butter and garlic, some roll it in powdered sugar or cinnamon. I like it either way it is so good and it fills you up.
I try to make it as much as possible. I make a great recipe with a Navajo fry bread topped with beans, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and guacamole. It is absolutely amazing and really easy to make. For a quick weeknight I will make the dough in the morning and leave it in the fridge for the day. Email me for the recipe (I don't have it on my computer here) (e-mail address removed).

Reaction score
I love fry bread! My mom used to make it for us as kids, and she called it "Indian fry-bread". The way we do it is to use biscuit dough and roll it out. We usually cut it into triangles, but I guess they can be any shape. Then top with either taco toppings, or even pizza sauce and cheese. I guess the possibilities are endless as far as how they can be served.

Reaction score
I've had a elephant ear before if that counts for fried bread.

Other than that then I can't say I like to "fry" bread. The reason why I bake is because I want my food to be "healthier".

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm always looking for ways to feed my growing teenager good, cheap dinners and stretch my dollars.I grew up poor and went hungry as a kid, so I always want to make sure to put good dinners on the table.
Thanks for sharing.
I tried fried bread a few times and it tasted so good. I have not done it in quite a long time, so now that I come across it I will surely do some this evening.

Reaction score
When I was learning my Native heritage, I first tasted fry bread. It is very versatile and very yummy! I do not have a recipe, but my aunt does. I am going to have to grab the recipe from her, when I go home for the holidays. Thank you for the reminder!

Ask a Question