Grandma's Polish Sweet Bread

Reaction score
Yes a BIG treat!!! That made me laugh. It is a lovely bread, but what made it special as you have found, and I relentlessly demanded,/asked was the air pockets. Oh to have that bread again. The Polish/Ukraine made it heavy, and I am sure it is fine, but THIS BREAD, is Polish too, just lighter, airier, (and hard to toast). A special recipe for sure, and a special person like you to recreate it. You said it smelled heavenly, and I thought, that was grandma saying "HI JEAN, when you get married? boy walk up and down street all day, why you not marry one of them?"

This is a new slant on a very old recipe, the poolish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes a BIG treat!!! That made me laugh. It is a lovely bread, but what made it special as you have found, and I relentlessly demanded,/asked was the air pockets. Oh to have that bread again. The Polish/Ukraine made it heavy, and I am sure it is fine, but THIS BREAD, is Polish too, just lighter, airier, (and hard to toast). A special recipe for sure, and a special person like you to recreate it. You said it smelled heavenly, and I thought, that was grandma saying "HI JEAN, when you get married? boy walk up and down street all day, why you not marry one of them?"

This is a new slant on a very old recipe, the poolish.

The air pockets are not normal for a bread like this because the dough is enriched with either milk, butter, and/or sugar. Those additions prevent the air pockets from holding together because they weaken the gluten. When the gluten is weakened, the air pockets will just simply collapse in on each other during the bake. So you get a tight crumb like sandwich bread.

I used a very strong flour, a poolish, and I hand kneading method that I believed would create a strong dough to support air pockets despite all the milk, sugar and npbutter. I can see a lot of air pockets on the dome just under the crust. And that’s normally an indication that the bread inside also has air pockets.

But a lot of stream has to escape during cooling. When I moved the loaf to an air tight container after it cooled, I could feel the moisture on the bottom of the wrapper. So I left the lid off the container. Steam will softened the inside, which could caused the air pockets to collapse. But seeing so many air pockets under the crust makes me think there’s air pockets inside. I’d be very surprised if the crumb is tight.

After I completely cooled it I thought maybe I should’ve have cool it upside down like panettone. Panettone absolutely has to be cooled hanging upside down because the steam will make the interior collapse as it cools.

I’m going to drop the bread off tomorrow. I’ll ask my friend to take a photo when he eats it. But he has four stage cancer. And was diagnose just two months after his wife for 50 years died. So I don’t want to badger him about a photo. I just want to give him some delicious homemade bread to cheer him up.

The aroma is still lingering in the house. It smells really really good.

Reaction score
The air pockets are not normal for a bread like this because the dough is enriched with either milk, butter, and/or sugar. Those additions prevent the air pockets from holding together because they weaken the gluten. When the gluten is weakened, the air pockets will just simply collapse in on each other during the bake. So you get a tight crumb like sandwich bread.

I used a very strong flour, a poolish, and I hand kneading method that I believed would create a strong dough to support air pockets despite all the milk, sugar and npbutter. I can see a lot of air pockets on the dome just under the crust. And that’s normally an indication that the bread inside also has air pockets.

But a lot of stream has to escape during cooling. When I moved the loaf to an air tight container after it cooled, I could feel the moisture on the bottom of the wrapper. So I left the lid off the container. Steam will softened the inside, which could caused the air pockets to collapse. But seeing so many air pockets under the crust makes me think there’s air pockets inside. I’d be very surprised if the crumb is tight.

After I completely cooled it I thought maybe I should’ve have cool it upside down like panettone. Panettone absolutely has to be cooled hanging upside down because the steam will make the interior collapse as it cools.

I’m going to drop the bread off tomorrow. I’ll ask my friend to take a photo when he eats it. But he has four stage cancer. And was diagnose just two months after his wife for 50 years died. So I don’t want to badger him about a photo. I just want to give him some delicious homemade bread to cheer him up.

The aroma is still lingering in the house. It smells really really good.

Reaction score
That is very informative, thank you. What is npbutter? And how do you hang a bread upside down?

I appreciate your concern and compassion for your friend. Grief is very hard on a person and I am sure is not helping his fight (if he is in a fighting mode) against his cancer. I am very familiar with grief. It would be a big favor for you and me if he will do it.

I seem to remember ham sandwiches made with this bread, and they were very good! The sweet of the bread and the salt of the ham works well. So either as a toast with lots of butter, or a ham sandwich are my recommendations.

I hope you took a picture of it out of the tin?

I admire your dedication to baking especially with the disease you have. It must take a lot of self control to smell something so good and not taste it. A heartfelt thank you, J

Reaction score
Equipment
  • Food scale OR dry and liquid measuring cups
  • Measuring spoons
  • Plastic bench scraper
  • Bowls
  • 6” panettone mold
  • Plastic cling wrap
  • Soft pastry brush

Poolish: mix the night before. Use within 24 hrs of mixing
  • 125g (1 cup) bread flour (King Arthur)
  • 80ml (1/3 cup) water, 95° – 110°
  • 45 ml (3 1/2 Tablespoons) evaporated milk, 95° – 110°
  • 1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast (not instant or rapid rise)
  1. Mix water and evaporated milk.
  2. Sprinkle yeast over water mixture. Let sit 10 minutes to dissolve.
  3. Pour water mixture over flour.
  4. Mix to just combine, and no white flour is visible.
  5. Loosely cover with plastic wrap.
  6. Place in warm, draft free place. A turned off oven is a good place.

================

Main dough
  • 375g bread flour (King Arthur)
  • 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk, scald 180°; and cool to 110°
  • 80 ml (1/3 cup) water, 95° – 110°
  • 55g (1 large egg), room temperature
  • 6 g (2 tsp) active dry yeast (Fleischmann’s)
  • 90g (scant 1/2 cup) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 20g (1 1/2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, 72°, slice 1/4” thick
  • 200 g (1 1/4 cup) golden raisins

Egg wash for glossy top (optional)

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoons water

Instructions

1. Thoroughly wash and dry work surface.
  2. Measure all ingredients. For dry ingredients use the spoon and level method. Use a dry volume measuring cup for dry ingredients. Use a liquid volume measuring cup for liquid ingredients.
  3. Heat milk to 180°. Add 1/3 cup water to milkTransfer milk to large bowl. Cool milk to 110° before proceeding. If the milk is too hot, it will kill the yeast. So cooling the milk is very important before proceeding.
  4. Sprinkle yeast over milk. Do NOT Stir. Let the yeast sit 10 minutes to bloom.
  5. Whisk egg into milk and yeast mixture to thoroughly combine.
  6. Mix flour into yeast mixture to just combine and no dry white flour is visible. Cover and let rest in bowl for 30 minutes to fully hydrate flour.
  7. With fingertips, gently flatten dough out.Turn poolish onto dough. With fingertips, gently press poolish into dough, then mix with hands to combine.
  8. Sprinkle sugar and salt over dough. Mix with hands to incorporate. Turn dough on to work surface. Gently pat down to form a level surface.
  9. Spread soften butter slices over dough. Fold a couple of times to mix butter in. Pat dough down.
  10. Use fraisage technique to fully incorporate sugar and butter into dough. With the heal of your hand, smear the dough outward across the work surface. Scrape the dough back into a ball. Then again smear the dough outward with heel of your hand. Scrape the dough back into a ball. Then repeat for about 2 minutes until you no longer feel the granules of sugar and salt in the dough.
  11. Knead the dough using the slap and full method. This may take approximately 8 to 10 minutes to complete. The dough will be very sticky. Do not use flour or oil during this process. This process is in fact design to knead sticky dough.Form a small rectangular shape. From the sides, slide your fingers under the dough to the second knuckles. Do not stick the entire length of your fingers under the dough. The less contact, the easier it is to handle.Gently pinch the dough between your thumb and fingers. Lift the dough straight up off the work surface.Flip the dough over and slap it down on the work surface while maintaining a hold on the dough.Keep your grip on the dough. Gently stretch the dough toward you. Stretch it about 6”.Still holding on to the dough, fold it in half, capturing air between the fold. Repeat the flipping, stretching, folding.
  12. Dough is ready for first rise when it looks relatively smooth and holds it shape when formed into a ball. Place dough in a lightly oiled container. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Set in a warm draft free area to rise.
  13. Place raisins in a heatproof bowl. Pour hot water over raisins to cover. Soak 15 - 20 mins. Drain well. Spread raisins on paper towels and gently pat dry. Leave raisins to dry.
  14. Place panettone mold on a cookie sheet next to your work area.
  15. Set oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat oven 325°
  16. Dough is ready when doubled in bulk.
  17. Lightly flour work surface and hands. Turn dough on to work surface. With floured hands, gentle stretch dough into a rectangle. Spread some raisins to cover 1/4 of the dough. Fold the raisin covered section over. Spread some raisins on the next section of dough. Fold the raisin covered section. Repeat spreading raisins and fold until all raisins are folded into the dough
  18. With floured hand, gently knead the dough five or six times.
  19. Form dough in ball and place in panettone mold.
  20. Loosely cover panettone mold with plastic wrap
  21. Place cookie sheet with panettone mold in a warm, draft free area.
  22. When dough rises to the top edge of the mold, brush the dough with the egg wash. Place the cookie sheet in the oven.
  23. Bread is done when internal temperature reaches 200°. Check temperature at the 50 minute mark. My loaf reached 200° in approximately 55 minutes.
  24. Transfer bread to a cooling rack. Cool bread completely—at least 2 hours, before removing the mold and slicing. High hydration breads have a lot of steam inside. If you try to slice the bread while it is still warm, the bread will become very gummy. A long cooling allows the steam to dissipate.

Reaction score
Sprinkle yeast ov milk mixture. Do not stir

3F657C06-186B-47CE-97A3-2C76695F3E67.jpeg

After 10 mins rest, yeast should look foamy
C0FA9C60-AB9D-49E9-B16F-73F614114C01.jpeg

Flour is not mixed in yet. You can still see white dry flour
9DE5F487-C645-44A0-B05B-AED40B417325.jpeg

Flour is mixed in and ready to sit 30 minutes to hydrate
19F937C3-6505-4084-ACD7-6FDF42F0A0EF.jpeg

Poolish should be full of air pockets before you begin.

D20BC635-B8DB-4EF9-B1DA-7579B2B8634C.jpeg

After all the dough is mixed, place is a clear container to rise
10A0A0A6-139C-4E3A-A369-22015557FE7D.jpeg

Dough should double in size
E19F3515-A6D0-4C26-9E96-3521F1FA6308.jpeg

Since dough is very sticky, it’s easier to wrap raisins in rather than trying to mix in
Stretch dough. Add some raisins on 1 end
8822FF7D-5132-4655-8A1C-39052D88A985.jpeg

Fold dough over raisins
9F250FF0-CA8F-40E8-93FF-5003F9FF1152.jpeg

Spread more raisins, fold and reap
44D3C393-3E01-4FD2-A051-38667C22AA22.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
When mixing in poolish and main dough, place poolish on main dough and press in to begin
4B684EEF-088F-4C8C-9398-3527C7E243AF.jpeg

After all the mixing, kneading, flooding in raisins, form a ball and place in mold
063F4687-AA57-4DD4-8AA3-8A740473032E.jpeg

Reaction score
Baker’s percentages based on grandmother's recipe notes

Flour: 1.00 (same as 100%) 50 lb is commercial bag size
Whole milk: .32
Water: .32
Pet Evaporated milk: .03
Eggs: .08*
Sugar: .18
Yeast: 0.01
Raisins: unknown, add to preference
Salt: unknowns use standard 0.02
Butter: 0.04

Grandmother's recipe notes:

50 lb. flour = 800 oz
2 gallons milk = 128 oz x 2 = 256 fl oz
2 gallons water 128 oz x 2 = 256 fl oz
2 cans of Pet Milk = 12 x 2 = 24 fl oz
3 dozen eggs = assuming large size: 1.78 oz/ egg x 12 = 21.36 x 3 dz = 64.08 oz
9 lbs. sugar = 144 oz
1/2 lb. yeast = 8 oz
3 boxes yellow raisins = unknown quality
3 handfuls salt (impossible to calculate; use current baking standards)
2 lbs. butter = 16 x 2 = 32 oz

Yield 38 loaves: not revenant as yield varies based on size of mold use

*use 1 large egg for a single loaf based on 500g flours. If mixing dough for 4 or more loaves, measure eggs based on actual baker’s percentages.

Reaction score
Oh my what a lot of work just typing that all out, let alone calculations, pictures, etc.

I did post a few questions before you posted all this. I am sure there are many more to come as I read, read, and reread all of this.

I hope it made your friend smile today! And that it tastes (only he can tell you) as heavenly as it smelled.

I have a lot to buy as well. I don't have a clear bowl either, is it totally necessary?

Plus I live in the mid Willamette Valley in OR, it does get cold here and I don't use the electric heat often, I'd rather bundle up, but obviously this needs warmth and wonder how to do that? I see an oven can be used, but do you heat it and then put it in to warm, or put it in as the oven warms?

Many, many questions to come. I hope I am not a pest about it. I do want to learn,but be accurate when I attempt this.

J

Reaction score
The bread ended up at my sister’s house as it was thought to be too rich a dough for my sick friend.

My brother-in-law was out when I arrived. My sister left the loaf on her kitchen counter and we went out to lunch. When we returned to her house, my brother-in-law was home working in his upstairs in his office. He came downstairs and said, “that raisin bread made some incredible toast.”

My sister sampled the bread and said she liked how the yeastiness enhanced the golden raisins, combining to create a flavor as if the raisins were soaked in bourbon.

The bread overall has a nice open crumb with holes all over varying in size of sunflower seeds to small peas. It’s not riddled all over with large holes. Rather there’s large holes spread out. The large holes varying in size from a dime to almost the size of a quarter. Most of the large holes are dime size.

I included a photo of raisins I used next to a penny to give you a sense of the size of the holes compared to the raisins.

081C2DB9-3271-4985-B3C0-E2E7E2835543.jpeg

0404FF09-0585-42D2-8617-5AA2443F21C5.jpeg

Reaction score
Oh my what a lot of work just typing that all out, let alone calculations, pictures, etc.

I did post a few questions before you posted all this. I am sure there are many more to come as I read, read, and reread all of this.

I hope it made your friend smile today! And that it tastes (only he can tell you) as heavenly as it smelled.

I have a lot to buy as well. I don't have a clear bowl either, is it totally necessary?

Plus I live in the mid Willamette Valley in OR, it does get cold here and I don't use the electric heat often, I'd rather bundle up, but obviously this needs warmth and wonder how to do that? I see an oven can be used, but do you heat it and then put it in to warm, or put it in as the oven warms?

Many, many questions to come. I hope I am not a pest about it. I do want to learn,but be accurate when I attempt this.

J

If the kitchen is cold, turn your oven on for 60 SECONDS, then turn it off. Place a pan with 2” of boiling water on the oven floor. That should provide a nice warm environment for the bread to rise.

You can use whatever containers you have. I just prefer clear containers for my poolish and for the bulk (first) rise to monitor the doughs.

“npbutter” is a typo. I dropped my iPad so the screen is shattered. So it’s difficult to type on it. I use the dictation/voice recording feature. And it has a mind of its own. It writes whatever it wants regardless of what I actually say.

To hang panettone:

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/panettone-recipe/

Reaction score
The bread ended up at my sister’s house as it was thought to be too rich a dough for my sick friend.

My brother-in-law was out when I arrived. My sister left the loaf on her kitchen counter and we went out to lunch. When we returned to her house, my brother-in-law was home working in his upstairs in his office. He came downstairs and said, “that raisin bread made some incredible toast.”

My sister sampled the bread and said she liked how the yeastiness enhanced the golden raisins, combining to create a flavor as if the raisins were soaked in bourbon.

The bread overall has a nice open crumb with holes all over varying in size of sunflower seeds to small peas. It’s not riddled all over with large holes. Rather there’s large holes spread out. The large holes varying in size from a dime to almost the size of a quarter. Most of the large holes are dime size.

I included a photo of raisins I used next to a penny to give you a sense of the size of the holes compared to the raisins.

View attachment 1185

View attachment 1186

Reaction score
You nailed it lady. Now THAT is an EXACT picture of my grandma's bread. The second I saw it I thought YES that's it.

I love, love, love what your brother-in-law said. It is the nooks and crannies with melted butter in them.......yummmmmmmmmmmm. Obviously this bread made a HUGE impression on a little girl, me. A happy memory.

Not quite sure what to make of what your sister said.

That IS grandma's bread, love the photo! Thank You!!!

Reaction score
If the kitchen is cold, turn your oven on for 60 SECONDS, then turn it off. Place a pan with 2” of boiling water on the oven floor. That should provide a nice warm environment for the bread to rise.

You can use whatever containers you have. I just prefer clear containers for my poolish and for the bulk (first) rise to monitor the doughs.

“npbutter” is a typo. I dropped my iPad so the screen is shattered. So it’s difficult to type on it. I use the dictation/voice recording feature. And it has a mind of its own. It writes whatever it wants regardless of what I actually say.

To hang panettone:

https://www.browneyedbaker.com/panettone-recipe/

Reaction score
Turn the oven on to what temp? It does have just warm at the beginning of the dial. I understand it is only 60 seconds. For some reason my oven doesn't register the 200 degree temp.

Glass bowls make sense. I bet looking in the oven would be a no no? As it would affect the temp in there, right?

I now realize you use those paper pannetone containers after looking at the link you sent about hanging it.

What size is that board you use?

Boy I sure have a lot of studying and buying to do.

Reaction score
A few questions.

Does it have to be King Arthur Bread Flour? Do they sell it at grocery stores?

I noticed you used unsalted butter is that due to the "2 handful of salt" part?

Would a regular loaf pan work?

If the dough also needs a warm place to rise, I'd be using the oven again for that, right? How long can the poolish be outside of the oven, since I have to wait for the dough to rise in there? Or can both be in there at the same time?

Have to study all that kneading, many times I think.

Reaction score
You nailed it lady. Now THAT is an EXACT picture of my grandma's bread. The second I saw it I thought YES that's it.

I love, love, love what your brother-in-law said. It is the nooks and crannies with melted butter in them.......yummmmmmmmmmmm. Obviously this bread made a HUGE impression on a little girl, me. A happy memory.

Not quite sure what to make of what your sister said.

That IS grandma's bread, love the photo! Thank You!!!

Well I’m glad the bread reflects what you remember of the bread your grandmother baked.

I thought it was a sign from your grandmother that my brother-in-law sliced and toasted it. He knew nothing about the bread—he wasn’t even home when I arrived.

My sister has a very sensitive palate. Her description was not by any means negative. When she referred to the “yeastiness” I asked whether it was a bad thing. Her eyes grew wide and she shook her head no. She said the bread is very good; she just wanted to give me an accurate description of what she tasted. She very much liked the way the yeast flavor blended with the raisins.

I didn’t have a plastic bag large enough for the loaf. So I placed it in one of my large plastic food containers. When I took the loaf out of the container you could smell the aroma of the bread. My sister even commented on the delicious aroma.

It is a very nice loaf of bread. I’ll definitely keep that recipe.

Reaction score
A few questions.

Does it have to be King Arthur Bread Flour? Do they sell it at grocery stores?

I noticed you used unsalted butter is that due to the "2 handful of salt" part?

Would a regular loaf pan work?

If the dough also needs a warm place to rise, I'd be using the oven again for that, right? How long can the poolish be outside of the oven, since I have to wait for the dough to rise in there? Or can both be in there at the same time?

Have to study all that kneading, many times I think.

King Arthur flour is sold in grocery stores. I noted the brand of flour since variation in wheat, protein, ash, and extraction rate affects the final product.

You can use any brand flour labeled “bread “ flour. You can even try an all purpose flour if you like. But if you use an all purpose flour then definitely King Arthur brand. The reason being is that King Arthur brand flours are higher in protein and ash than other brands like Gold Medal and Pilsbury.

Unsalted butter is the standard in baking. It allows you to control the salt in your final product. Because every manufacturer uses a different amount of salt in their butter, it is very difficult to control the saltiness. You can try salted butter, and reduce the amount of salt in half.

I’m sure you can bake it in a loaf pan. That amount of dough is probably too much for a standard loaf pan. You would need a pan labeled for a 1.5 lb loaf.

You can leave the poolish out of the oven all night. I simply suggested you place it in the oven if the kitchen is cold.

After the dough is completely mixed and in the second and final rise, you will have plenty of time to preheat the oven for the bake.

The dough is quite sticky. You may need to make this bread a couple of times before you get used to the process and the handling of the dough. But please don’t be discouraged if it’s not perfect the first time.

Reaction score
Turn the oven on to what temp? It does have just warm at the beginning of the dial. I understand it is only 60 seconds. For some reason my oven doesn't register the 200 degree temp.

Glass bowls make sense. I bet looking in the oven would be a no no? As it would affect the temp in there, right?

I now realize you use those paper pannetone containers after looking at the link you sent about hanging it.

What size is that board you use?

Boy I sure have a lot of studying and buying to do.

It doesn’t matter what the temperature is set because you’re only going to turn it on for 60 seconds to just take the chill out of the oven. Then turn it off.

Yes I very much prefer clear containers when I am fermenting/proofing do. I like to see what is going on with the dough.

Yes, panettone molds are made of paper. They look very flimsy, but they can in fact handle the weight of the dough. I purchase mine locally from a restaurant supply store. They are available online. The prices online can vary dramatically. I think I pay about 4 or 5 dollars for a dozen of them.

The board is actually a silicone mat. It’s called a Silpat. It’s designed as a baking pan liner, but I use it as a work surface whenever I work with sticky bread doughs since most everything will release on it.

Reaction score
King Arthur flour is sold in grocery stores. I noted the brand of flour since variation in wheat, protein, ash, and extraction rate affects the final product.

You can use any brand flour labeled “bread “ flour. You can even try an all purpose flour if you like. But if you use an all purpose flour then definitely King Arthur brand. The reason being is that King Arthur brand flours are higher in protein and ash than other brands like Gold Medal and Pilsbury.

Unsalted butter is the standard in baking. It allows you to control the salt in your final product. Because every manufacturer uses a different amount of salt in their butter, it is very difficult to control the saltiness. You can try salted butter, and reduce the amount of salt in half.

I’m sure you can bake it in a loaf pan. That amount of dough is probably too much for a standard loaf pan. You would need a pan labeled for a 1.5 lb loaf.

You can leave the poolish out of the oven all night. I simply suggested you place it in the oven if the kitchen is cold.

After the dough is completely mixed and in the second and final rise, you will have plenty of time to preheat the oven for the bake.

The dough is quite sticky. You may need to make this bread a couple of times before you get used to the process and the handling of the dough. But please don’t be discouraged if it’s not perfect the first time.

Ask a Question