Mailing baked goods?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you experience with mailing baked goods..cookies, cake pops, etc. Any tips, either during the cooking or the mailing itself to ensure they're still delicious when they reach their recipient?

Thanks =)

Reaction score
I've mailed out cookies to friends and family over the past holidays. I've not done anything really special except made sure I packed my cookies into a tightly packed container to ensure they are cookies and not crumbs when they reach their destination. I even asked a post office worker which box to use and he said any, just make sure its labeled "fragile" so they are more careful with the package.

Reaction score
When my husband was in Vietnam, I mailed him baked goods all of the time. I just made sure they were wrapped well and padded well in a sturdy box. He was the envy of the men he served with due to boxes of cookies, muffins, candy, ect that would arrive on a regular basis! I also included boxes of crackers, the small canned hams that did not have to be refrigerated, ect.

Reaction score
When My cousin was sick I mailed her a few baked goods. I sent her brownies , melt away cookies . choclate chip cookies. I wrapped the brownies individually and then place them in a tin with an airtight lid. I did the samething for the cookies. She said they arrived fresh and intact.

Reaction score
When I was younger, I had a roomate whose mom sent us a loaf of fresh sweetbread through the mail. It was still extremely fresh when it got to us and it tasted wonderful. It is all about how well you wrap it.

Reaction score
Wow..seems everyone is in agreement on something, at least! The secret is good packing...good to know ;). Thank you guys! Seems there are quite a few possibilities for things that could be mailed.

Reaction score
I've only mailed cookies and they were in an airtight tin inside a well padded box. I wouldn't mail something like cake pops because you can't really control the temperature and keep the frosting from melting unless you FedEx it in a cooler full of dry ice, or mail the box in the winter.

Reaction score
I've definitely wondered about this too, and I saw somewhere that if you wrap the cookies individually with seran wrap and then wrap all of them together with more seran wrap it helps. It's a bit of work but if it helps the cookie to not crumble or go bad, why not?

Though shipping baked goods, I think it's best if you sent like brownies or something. Brownies and fudge are pretty hardy :)

Reaction score
I've only mailed cookies and they were in an airtight tin inside a well padded box. I wouldn't mail something like cake pops because you can't really control the temperature and keep the frosting from melting unless you FedEx it in a cooler full of dry ice, or mail the box in the winter.
Mailing cake pops would most likely end badly. I wonder if they work even make it their with the sticks still attached ?

Reaction score

Hm...yes, I see what you mean. Some things are certainly more suited to mailing than others.

Reaction score
If you wrap your cookies individually you could stack them in a mailing tube and send them that way. The tube is hard so the would not get crushed.

Reaction score
If you wrap your cookies individually you could stack them in a mailing tube and send them that way. The tube is hard so the would not get crushed.

Yes, I was wondering if something like that wouldn't be helpful...even if you put 'fragile' there's always the worry that they'll get banged around a good bit.
Thanks for the advice :).

Ask a Question