Marshmallow Frosting on Cake....

Reaction score
I'm making a Halloween cake for work tomorrow. I thought I would make a marshmallow frosting since a lot of people don't like buttercream where I work.

I don't have any black food coloring, so I thought I would puree some fudge cookies and mix with the melted marshmallow for "dirt" for my Halloween cake.

I've never done this before with marshmallow fluff, so I was wondering , will mixing chocolate cookie crumbs make this frosting hard, gummy, or inedible?

Are there any "tricks" to keeping marshmallow fluff frosting fluffy?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I've been away so only just seen your topic now! How did it go? I've made a marshmallow frosting before but never mixed anything with it - it is very sticky though, so even if it doesn't work mixing the crumbs in, you could always sprinkle them on it. Which approach did you opt for?

Reaction score
I've been away so only just seen your topic now! How did it go? I've made a marshmallow frosting before but never mixed anything with it - it is very sticky though, so even if it doesn't work mixing the crumbs in, you could always sprinkle them on it. Which approach did you opt for?

OMG! Never EVER again!!!
WHAT a mess to work with!!!!

The cake turned out alright and people liked it, but it was a NIGHTMARE to work with that fluff!!!!!
It starts hardening the instant I take it off the double boiler, and even when I added a lot of water to it, it was still a huge mess!!

Unless you seal your cake with a light pre-frosting, or seal it with a thin layer of fondant....and THEN put the cake on a rack and POUR the fluff all over the cake........DONT USE FLUFF!

If I ever use fluff for cake frosting again, I will be POURING it over the cake like ganache!

And yes, I got to mix in some chocolate cookie crumbs, but had to add more water to it to loosen it up.

My granny always used butter to loosen her's up, but I didn't have any butter and I looked online for suggestions, and found that most people just used hot water to loosen it up.

I will stick with buttercream and melted chocolate coverings for frostings from now on!!!

Now on to that pumpkin cheesecake..................

Reaction score
The only marshmallow fluff I have heard of is the one here that comes in a jar! I have never tried to use that as frosting because I've never known anyone that doesn't like buttercream!

I think I'll stick to buttercream too as it sounds like the make it yourself marshmallow frosting was hard to work with!

fluff1.jpg

Reaction score
The only marshmallow fluff I have heard of is the one here that comes in a jar! I have never tried to use that as frosting because I've never known anyone that doesn't like buttercream!

I think I'll stick to buttercream too as it sounds like the make it yourself marshmallow frosting was hard to work with!

fluff1.jpg

Well, if you melt down marshmallows in a double boiler, they will melt down to a fluff.
The stuff in the jar would have cost me over $30 to cover this cake. Three bags of marshmallows that I melted myself, cost only $5.

Well, now that I know how to work with the stuff, it wont be so bad next time. But I will still prefer buttercream myself.

I have some friends who hate buttercream, but love whipped cream frosting. I've had to learn how to handle that stuff too, so it doesn't melt on you or degrade.

Reaction score
I used the fluff in my cake and would never do it again because it was a lot of work and mess and sticking to basically everywhere..but at the time I was making it I had a lot f free time so I was OK with it and it tasted good:)

Ask a Question