What bake goods can you master?

Reaction score
I was reading recently and came across an article that spoke to the baked goods a baker should master. I have to say I have quite a way to go before I consider myself a baker based on this list. Out of the list of the things mentioned, I could only master one thing; banana bread. Have a look at the link and tell me how you stack up.

http://food52.com/blog/12521-14-essential-baked-goods-every-baker-should-master

Last edited:
Reaction score
my butter milk biscuits are improving,they still have a ways to go,that is the only thing I have tried from that list

I read the recipe for pavlova and will give it a try and let you know how it comes out,when I give it a try

Reaction score
Brownies are the baking goods I think is the one that I can master. I had been baking this since a long time ago especially during the Holiday Season where I always bake brownies as my give away gifts to my family and friends for Christmas Day. I do hope that I can still improve the texture and taste of my brownies.

Reaction score
Pavlova is delicious but I find it hard to make. Because it's meringue based I've found it to be pretty temperamental and it doesn't always sit the way I want it to -- the couple of times I've made it, it turned out a little flat.

I've also never even thought to make my own hot dog or hamburger buns - I've always bought store bought ones, just because I'd never considered it! It was certainly some food for thought if you pardon the pun!!

Reaction score
I stumbled on that article but truth be told I am not sure it makes a lot of sense to the average baker. There is so much bread there and I think it's a bit much. If I had to create my own list things like a simple pound cake, sponge cake and pineapple cake would be on that list.

Reaction score
well I do need to work on my biscuits and the burger and dog buns and I have never made any banana bread,I may work on either the pavlova or most likely some Banana Bread first,since Bananas are on the list for my next trip to the grocery store :)

Ask a Question