What's the most difficult cake you have made

Reaction score
Oh, I have another one. Have you seen those beautiful multi-layer cakes with the impossibly thin, beautiful layers? Yeah, not so much when I try to make it, ha ha. Slicing layers didn't work very well. I'd have to spend all day making thin little layers, washing out the pans, filling and baking again. I only have two round layer pans.

images (51).jpg

something like this?? lol.. this is not mine.. just took pic from google.. but i'm going to try making this recipe soon.. its sooo delicious... this cakes called 'lapis legit' here

Reaction score
Any cake that involves layering for me. My cakes always seem to come apart and I learned that you are supposed to cut off the humps when you pull the cake layers out of the oven. I have literally had cakes that have split in half after I put on the third layer. I never go more than 2 layers high now.

You might try some of my "tricks" of the trade....

1. Use "air bake" pans. These are baking pans that are actually two pans joined together to make one pan. There is a space between the inside and the outside of the pan, which keeps the cake from burning and rising in the middle (making a hump). They are a little expensive, but well worth it to not have to be carving tops off of over risen cakes.

2. On my "tricks of the trade" post....always use frozen cake when building a cake monument (tall cakes), it holds together long enough for you to get the cake built and frosted. That way you don't don't have any disasters.

Reaction score
View attachment 581

something like this?? lol.. this is not mine.. just took pic from google.. but i'm going to try making this recipe soon.. its sooo delicious... this cakes called 'lapis legit' here

Oh, they made that on one episode of The Great British Bake Off. I do not have the patience for making something like that!!!!!

Reaction score
Oh, they made that on one episode of The Great British Bake Off. I do not have the patience for making something like that!!!!!

I tried to make this yesterday.. after 3rd layer i give up!!! lol.. i plop the rest of my batter into pan... and i think i'm not going to make this cake again.. sooo bye bye beautiful motifs... :( (i found this pic on google)

images (58).jpg
images (57).jpg
images (53).jpg
images (52).jpg
images (56).jpg

Reaction score
View attachment 581

That's "legit" alright, ha ha. Not exactly the one I had in mind, but I'd love to make that too. I don't see it happening any time soon though.

Oh my, the colorful cakes that Rainbow posted... never in a million years. Very cool to look at though.

Reaction score
I would say for me the most difficult is genoise cakes. It is very easy to over mix or undermix the cake. You either end up with a cake that's over mixed or underbaked and it falls. Or the texture is not right. This cake I learned in baking school and I still can't master it. I've given up on it and stuck with other cake recipes instead

Ask a Question