What's your trick for salvaging a burnt cake?

Reaction score
I have to admit that on occasion I burn a cake. It's usually when I underestimate the cook time or get distracted doing something else. In order to save my efforts, I trim off the burnt crust. Then, I slather on extra frosting to make my cake look pretty and full.

What is your trick for salvaging a burnt cake?

Reaction score
If you burn a cake, the best thing to do before you frost it is to cut away the burnt sides. Using a sharp knife, cut away the crust and then apply a crumb coat. Place in a freezer for a while to set and then apply a second and/or third coat to the cake. This usually works well and no one will be the wiser that you burnt the cake. I also suggest getting a timer or setting an alarm so that you don't over bake your items.

Reaction score
Yes, removing is the best solution and, depending on how burnt it is, you may cut the cake in cube to have small bread to accompany your coffee or milk.

Reaction score
crumble it up and add frosting to make cake pops.....
cut them into small petit fours size and decorate......
cut them into diff. shapes and make small cakes with ganache......
oh the possibilities!

Reaction score
I always cut away (carefully) the burnt bits, as usually the inside will be fine. Then I decorate the cake with some frosting or a ganache type covering, and nobody can tell it was burnt when they eat it. It makes it look much neater then, too!

Reaction score
I've seen cake recipes where they specifically do cut off all the brown exterior, even if it wasn't even burnt. Usually they are trying to make a very specific and clean shape. As long as you are frosting it, and perhaps even adding some sprinkles, they would be none the wiser. Or you could be even more bold, and don't frost the exterior of the cake, but perhaps put some different fruit preserves in between the layers of the cake for some bold streaks of color. I was going to also suggest a bread pudding of some sort, but I'm not too sure if the cake would hold up to it or become too mushy.

Reaction score
Depending on how badly the cake is burnt, you can always throw away the burnt part, crumble the good parts up and use it as a layer in a trifle or other "pudding/cool whip/cake" layer recipe. You will still get the taste of the cake, but it will be an interesting twist with some other flavors and textures mixed in there!

Reaction score
"
If you accidentally burned the outer edges of your cake, you can carefully cut them off with a knife. Make sure to trim the bottom of the cake, as well, since that area will be affected the most. Though your cake will be smaller, once it's covered in frosting no one will know what happened. As long as the cake isn't burned throughout, it should taste just fine once the burnt areas have been removed. To make frosting easier, place the cake in the freezer for about 30 minutes.

Add butter
Sometimes if a cake is overcooked it won't necessarily "burn," but will come out extremely dry. Dry cakes can be covered in frosting to help moisten them, but an even better trick is to spread melted butter on top of the cake before frosting it. The butter will melt into the cake giving it a moister, less crumbly texture."
I usually do this when I accidentally burn my cake! (Sheknows.com)

Reaction score
You could always cut off the burnt edges.

Next cut the cake in to small diced cubess.

Slice fresh berries. Next layer the cake in a deep glass bowl.

Alterate layers of cake then fruit next whipped cream.

Reaction score
It depends. If it's really burnt I usually cut off the burnt bits and chop the non-blackened bits up and mix them with ganache or custard to make filings for tarts, pies or cream puffs.

If it's only slight burnt, I cut the cake into cubes and make a trifle with it. I layer cake, fruits and whipping cream. It's quite fun salvaging the burnt cake and turning it into something else entirely!

Reaction score
Sounds like we all have the same solution to this issue, haha. Also, if it's noticeably dry, you could turn it into a layer cake and give it an all over daub (after the burnt bits have been cut off) with sugar syrup, some strong coffee, or some liquor. We have used a spray bottle before to get an even coat, then refrigerated it for an hour or so to make sure it really soaks in. Then a coat or two of your favorite icing and you're good to go!

hhh

Reaction score
Sometimes if I've put the oven temperature too high, I just cut the burnt part off (which is usually just the top), and place it back in. By cutting the burnt part away, it's means that the burnt flavor is gone too. It's a good tip, and you don't waste the whole cake. In case you're wondering I put it back into the oven because usually, the inside of the cake is really raw.

Reaction score
I actually have never burnt a cake before. But If I did ever burn one I would most likely do the same thing you did, cut off the burnt part and slather it in icing.

Ask a Question