Do you still buy cakes as well as baking?

Reaction score
I agree that the box cake mixes are getting smaller and smaller. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Good to know I am not alone.

Betty Crocker and Pilsbury shrunk to 15 oz or so about 3 years back. Duncan Hines didn't switch until this past year or so, and it shrunk to 16.5 for the standard flavors. The special flavors are still 18.25, those 2 oz sure make a difference. A lot of recipes were calculated on the higher content of the mix. Now those recipes are shot. Too bad.

And the "reformulation" of Duncan Hines has really gotten a lot of people upset.

Reaction score
Yeah I don't like it either. I liked the way they use to be. I wish they would go back to that, then maybe I would be willing to buy a boxed mix, but I doubt it. I have gotten use to baking my own cakes.

Reaction score
Everything is shrinking. I bought some marscapone cheese and the recipe called for 12 oz. and they only came in 8 oz sizes, so I had to buy two. Bummed me out... that cheese is expensive.

Reaction score
That's unfortunate about the sizes, but it has to be the state of the world and the economy. I still use mixes as well as recipes from scratch, depending on the timing.

Reaction score
Sometimes - when pressed for time, or when I'm expecting company who are expecting some desserts to be presented on the dinner table, I buy cakes from the store. I try to bake my own as much as possible though!

Reaction score
I wish that things didn't cost so much. Then I wouldn't mind having to buy a box cake mix. It's cheaper, but I think it's better to make it yourself. I think homemade tastes way better than box.

Reaction score
In the past I have bought the large sheet cakes for my boys birthday parties. I mostly do this because of the decorations and themes. I have purchased a Spider Man cake, Cars cake and a Winnie the Pooh cake for my kiddos over the last two years. I saw a chocolate layer cake that caught my eye a few weeks ago at the local grocery store deli and it looked so good. I was so tempted to buy it until I saw how much they wanted for it. It was a three layer cake and cut in half they wanted $10 for half of it. It looked very good but I could not see paying $10 for it.

Reaction score
In the past I have bought the large sheet cakes for my boys birthday parties. I mostly do this because of the decorations and themes. I have purchased a Spider Man cake, Cars cake and a Winnie the Pooh cake for my kiddos over the last two years. I saw a chocolate layer cake that caught my eye a few weeks ago at the local grocery store deli and it looked so good. I was so tempted to buy it until I saw how much they wanted for it. It was a three layer cake and cut in half they wanted $10 for half of it. It looked very good but I could not see paying $10 for it.
I would not want to pay that much for only half of the cake. If it was the whole cake then I may be willing to pay that much for it.

Reaction score
I honestly don't think I have ever bought a cake from the supermarket. They just look so artificial and the frosting is almost always awful. I'd honestly rather bake a cake from a box than buy one! That's just me, though.

Reaction score
The last time I had cake was at work and the frosting was really sweet. Store bought cakes always has too much sugar in the frosting. This time the cake upset my stomach and I was in the bathroom all night. Safe to say I will be limiting the.amount of cake I will eat at work.

Reaction score
Betty Crocker and Pilsbury shrunk to 15 oz or so about 3 years back. Duncan Hines didn't switch until this past year or so, and it shrunk to 16.5 for the standard flavors. The special flavors are still 18.25, those 2 oz sure make a difference. A lot of recipes were calculated on the higher content of the mix. Now those recipes are shot. Too bad.

And the "reformulation" of Duncan Hines has really gotten a lot of people upset.

Yes, those cake mixes are not only smaller and reformulated, but more expensive everyday.For the price of any of them you can buy a cake and save time, effort and power, since there is no need to bake it.

I prefer to bake my cakes based on my favorite recipes, but I'm always open to try new ones. I buy cakes very rarely, mostly when I have no time to bake, but i try to get a cake without topping and make my own to add a personal touch at least.

Reaction score
I would not want to pay that much for only half of the cake. If it was the whole cake then I may be willing to pay that much for it.

yes the prices are crazy here at the local grocery store bakeries. I cannot afford to pay that much for a cake. I would rather cook one of my own.

Reaction score
Yeah I find that it's better to bake your own rather than pay the high price for a store made cake. Sometimes the store bought doesn't taste good either.

Reaction score
I can't bring myself to lol. I mean, now that I've changed how we eat, I might have to until I figure out HOW to bake again (so weird being new to baking again), but no.. I always baked everything. The rare times I bought cakes, it was because something came up unexpectedly and I had no time. My grandmother raised a from scratch kinda girl.. I guess I do it for her lol.

Reaction score
forgot... my grocer out here puts the cake mixes on sale 10 for $10........ I used to stock up for the quick and massive baking projects but not this time. I just cleaned out my pantry and it is still packed. No more room except a few boxes for emergencies.....

Reaction score
I never buy cakes or any baked goods at the supermarket, I will sometimes buy a muffin from a bakery of a cafe if I'm out and about. I just prefer making my own and knowing what goes into them, I can be more certain about the quality of the ingredients and how much sugar is in there. I find a lot of the supermarket cakes are often far to sweet for my liking!

Reaction score
I never buy cakes or any baked goods at the supermarket, I will sometimes buy a muffin from a bakery of a cafe if I'm out and about. I just prefer making my own and knowing what goes into them, I can be more certain about the quality of the ingredients and how much sugar is in there. I find a lot of the supermarket cakes are often far to sweet for my liking!

I have eaten many store bought cakes and I agree that a lot of them are overly sweet. I try to avoid eating store bought cakes now mainly because one made me sick after.eating one piece.

Reaction score
I don't have a steady hand, nor the equipment to decorate a cake properly, so if it is a special occasion - I will stick with the grocery store's cake shop for those instances. If it is just for myself or for an informal get together, I will go with the cake mix in a box and some jarred frosting. I almost never keep cake flour at my house, and if I ever did buy it it would probably go to waste, so I stick with the premixed box stuff. Plus it's so dirt cheap - especially if you get them at a dollar store.

I just steer clear of the flavored cake mixes, outside of vanilla or chocolate. I like to add the flavors or spices or food colorings myself.

Reaction score
The only time I actually buy a cake instead of making it. Is when there is a special occasion or I just want something quick. There are some good store brand cakes but I prefer to order from a bakery if I can.

Reaction score
Ordering from a bakery is almost as good as baking a cake yourself. I would do that if I didn't have the time to bake, otherwise I would make my own even if the decorating looks sloppy. It's the love that went into the cake that counts.

Ask a Question