Do you still buy cakes as well as baking?

Reaction score
I bake cakes regularly, probably about once a month, but I buy store bought cakes for my children's birthday.

Reaction score
I buy the cake mix but make it myself and frost it myself. I grew up and on birthdays we got to look through my moms cake decorating books and choose any cake we wanted her to make and she made it for us.:)....My husband never got that opportunity, so I always make him a cake and frost it. I can't do anything as good as the things in catalogs or at stores but he loves them all. I also make them for my daughter on her birthdays too. She is always so excited to see what I made for her.

Reaction score
We still buy cakes already made from our local bakery. There are times where we get them from a grocery chain but very seldom. We love to bake all of our goods regardless as they taste better.

Reaction score
I try not to buy cakes at the store anymore, but every once in a while, I get lazy and will purchase one for dessert. This usually happens during the summer when it is too hot to bake.

Reaction score
I do, yes of course. They're usually snack cakes rather than full on big cakes though. So I'll buy a little Jamaica Cake, or a...ohh I forget the name of it actually. It's this really delicious cake, and when you cut it, it's like a checkerboard on the inside. Is it marble cake I'm thinking of?

Reaction score
I do it all the time, there is just some stuff that I would never be able to make on my own. Well I suppose I could try to make a lot of the stuff they sell at the bakery in the supermarket, but I doubt it would taste as good and probably just fall apart. Those bakers have been doing it for years and it just comes to them as perfection.

Reaction score
I usually buy cakes instead of making them, because I usually don't have enough sugar or time on hand to make a delectable cake. Also, I prefer to buy cakes for special occasions, rather than making them myself, because I usually get nervous and end up making mistakes.

Reaction score
I usually buy cakes instead of making them, because I usually don't have enough sugar or time on hand to make a delectable cake. Also, I prefer to buy cakes for special occasions, rather than making them myself, because I usually get nervous and end up making mistakes.
In terms of sugar, why not just buy a big pack for fairly cheap the next time you're shopping?

Reaction score
I purchase cakes at the supermarket ever so often as they taste real great and that's one way of keeping the children quite because they do have a sweet tooth.

Reaction score
Sometimes I will buy the chocolate cake from Costco!! It is so good - but also so rich! Usually have to have a bunch of people over
so there aren't any leftovers! It could put you in a sugar coma!!!
I do like to bake them too. Oftentimes I am lazy and will make one from a box though. :)

Reaction score
I purchase cakes at the supermarket ever so often as they taste real great and that's one way of keeping the children quite because they do have a sweet tooth.
Pretty much the reason I've still not left the habit of buying store baked goods, or even mass produced goods. They're just so sweet and easy to pick up.

Reaction score
Before I got married, yes, I would buy cakes. I just don't enjoy them enough to put time into baking them. I'd rather be baking cookies or brownies. However, I got really lucky with the family I married into...my mother-in-law used to bake and decorate cakes for a living! I have yet to buy a cake for a special occasion...including our wedding cake! She is so talented!

Reaction score
Before I got married, yes, I would buy cakes. I just don't enjoy them enough to put time into baking them. I'd rather be baking cookies or brownies. However, I got really lucky with the family I married into...my mother-in-law used to bake and decorate cakes for a living! I have yet to buy a cake for a special occasion...including our wedding cake! She is so talented!
Haha, lucky you indeed! God, to be able to just sneak around to the grandmother's house with your kids and be like,'Oh they so wanted to see you granny, and they won't stop talking about how lovely your cakes are!'

Reaction score
In terms of sugar, why not just buy a big pack for fairly cheap the next time you're shopping?

I would love to, but, sadly, I have dietary restrictions. I've been trying to find a sugar substitute to no avail. However, I won't give up on my quest for sweetness!

Reaction score
I love baking my own cakes and biscuits but I do still buy cakes when l'm in the supermarket, I try not to but I can't help it, does anyone else do this?

When I was not a part of this forum I would sometimes pick up a cake while in the supermarket. I have not bought a cake in recent months. I am all about baking my own cakes and getting better as I go along. I want to get so good at baking that people are going to want to buy my cakes;).

Reaction score
I don't buy cakes like before. I am becoming a real baker so I am creating my own cakes for the most part.The only time I am likely to pick up a cake is if I am having lots of guest and that has not happened recently. Before long I am going to be making even when I have guest.

Ask a Question