How to get the egg whites?

Reaction score
This is dead easy. Crack your egg onto a saucer and get a used 2 liter bottle and place it over the top of the yolk and squeeze the bottle. When you release it will suck the yolk into the neck of the bottle, then you can transfer it into your mixture. Job done!

Reaction score
I always struggled to separate the egg from the white until I bought a special device that does it for me. I used to end up throwing away so many eggs until I bought this! It was really cheap from a local cookery store.

Reaction score
I too use the egg shell method, passing the egg back and forth until all of the egg white is separated. Speaking of eggshells, I thought I'd pass along a tip I recently heard about. If you get a piece of eggshell in your egg, use a large piece of eggshell to scoop it out. Works way better then trying to chase it around with a spoon or finger.

Reaction score
I too use the egg shell method, passing the egg back and forth until all of the egg white is separated. Speaking of eggshells, I thought I'd pass along a tip I recently heard about. If you get a piece of eggshell in your egg, use a large piece of eggshell to scoop it out. Works way better then trying to chase it around with a spoon or finger.

That is a very good tip, I'll have to try it next time it happens. Probably tomorrow given that it's pancake day!

Reaction score
If you don't want to be messy and use the egg shells to separate the whites and the yolk, buy an egg separator. If you'd rather not spend, all you'll need is a couple of bowls and an empty plastic bottle. The suction of the bottle picks the yolk right out of the slimy white without breaking it. Plus, you get the added bonus of not having to worry about getting your hands messy, so keep this in mind the next time you're thinking of baking.

Reaction score
Crack the egg and sift the yolk back and forth through the two egg pieces over a bowl. Well that's at least what I do. :3

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but found that you can buy egg whites in a carton at the store. The only problem is that I think they are a little more runny than just getting the white part from an egg.

Reaction score
Seems like everyone has experienced this trouble at once before. Eggs are just so finicky.

When I was a kid, I used to break the eggs into the bowl and just scoop out the yolk with my hands. Very gross, I know, but you can also use a spoon. Breaking them into a small bowl first saves you some headache though, because if you break the yolk as well or have a bad egg, you don't have to ruin the rest of the batch.

Reaction score
I use the eggshell method as well. I always have since I was a kid, when I used to bake with my mom. If you're careful enough, at least until you get the hang of it, it should be okay. It's also the simplest method that doesn't require anyother equipment.

Reaction score
My favorite method of separating the egg yolk and egg white, is by using an empty plastic bottle. You simply squeeze the bottle over the yolk and when you release, bam instantly separated! =)

Reaction score
I use the egg shell trick and have never bothered with anything else. You just crack the egg and continue to pass the yolk back and forth between the two shells until all the egg whites have dripped out. Works every time :)

Reaction score
I've tried the bottle-yolk-sucking method, and it didn't work for me. Maybe the bottle I used was too flimsy? o_O
I'll try using my hand like Ally recommended next time. It's going to feel weird, as I remember when I got in trouble for playing with raw eggs when I was little. :oops:

Reaction score
I have seen 3 ways of doing this.
1. Crack the egg and separate with the shells
2. Use your hand and let the whites slip through your fingers
3. Use an egg separator that I have seen in some stores.

I have used both 1 and 2 with no problems but I have yet to use the store boughten method.

Reaction score
I crack the egg open and shift it back and forth in my hands, not between eggshells that can scrap them. Of course my hands are clean. I let the whites dribble out between my fingertips.

I don't like to use eggshells because they might scrape the yolk open.

This is dead easy. Crack your egg onto a saucer and get a used 2 liter bottle and place it over the top of the yolk and squeeze the bottle. When you release it will suck the yolk into the neck of the bottle, then you can transfer it into your mixture. Job done!

I'm intrigued by this method.

Reaction score
I've never been good at this, lol i always just call my mom over. She's the best at it, she just cracks the egg a certain type of way it never fails her.

Ask a Question