Summer baking

Reaction score
I do my very best not to bake anything in the summer and here she comes! I do have two kids who have birthdays in the hot weather , one in may and one in June and am planning a Hip Cake for one and the other I just have not figured out a cake for the other one. He loves decadence and one wanted to be a chef now at fifteen he plans to be an engineer! All hope is not lost though my eleven year old son wants to be a Chef!

Reaction score
Gosh, looks like I missed the point completely and got stuck on a tangent, I am good at that!

What I was trying to get out was most of my baking talk throughout the summer will be theoretical.

I do with there was an "Everything Else" area so we could share other types of cooking as well.

I just like to save on energy and be cool through the summer which means the oven is off or I make a lot of a thing so I do not have to do it again for a while.

Reaction score
I like to bake in the summertime. I have a lot birthdays coming up too including my own. I can't remember the last time I bought a cake from a bakery or a supermarket. I just like to know what I'm eating. I can understand the kitchen can get really hot during the summer you probably could bake a cake outside it gets so hot out here sometimes.

Reaction score
I like to bake in the summertime. I have a lot birthdays coming up too including my own. I can't remember the last time I bought a cake from a bakery or a supermarket. I just like to know what I'm eating. I can understand the kitchen can get really hot during the summer you probably could bake a cake outside it gets so hot out here sometimes.
You just gave me a fantastic idea about a new thread! I saw this thing called an earth oven and I had intended to try it this summer! I am gonna make a new thread and share it with everyone. Thank you for making a liar out of me me concerning not baking in the summer! Hehehehe

Reaction score
after1hour.jpg

:D

Reaction score
I too have birthdays coming up in May, June and July. It gets really hot where I live, so I understand about wanting to keep things cool. Instead of making a cake for summer birthdays I make desert pizzas. For the crust I mix together 1 cup of melted butter, 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 cup of peanut butter. I press the mixture onto an ungreased pizza pan and refrigerate for about 2 hours or overnight if possible. Then I top the crust with a jelly or jam as a sauce and then top with fruits and nuts.

I do my very best not to bake anything in the summer and here she comes! I do have two kids who have birthdays in the hot weather , one in may and one in June and am planning a Hip Cake for one and the other I just have not figured out a cake for the other one. He loves decadence and one wanted to be a chef now at fifteen he plans to be an engineer! All hope is not lost though my eleven year old son wants to be a Chef!

Reaction score
I always say I won't bake in the summertime, but then Hubby starts making sad puppy faces at me and I give in every time. I'm such a sucker...

Besides, fruit pies a la mode, cream pies, strawberry shortcake, and anything with lemon or lime practically shout "Hey! It's Summertime!!!" to my tastebuds. :p

Reaction score
We tend to avoid baking in the summer as well, but if it can't be avoided, do your baking at night. Open up your windows (and doors, if you can) and arrange the fans so there's a cross breeze. If all else fails, wait outside with a cold drink while the oven's on. And be sure to leave time for the house to cool down before the sun comes up :)

Reaction score
You should try things like icebox pies. I hear they're very, very good. If you make the crust yourself, it's still baking. I did see that picture of the person baking the cookies in their car, that's a good idea. You can try to do it outside, on a grill if you have one. In a one of those aluminum tins. I personally haven't tried it, but it seems like a fun experiment.

Reaction score
I like pudding-type desserts for the summer. Like I said in a different post, my dang cream cheese frosting was melting from the heat the other day. I hate it when stuff like that happens due to weather and other conditions!

I want to try those icebox pies, VioletxSkye! I'm going to have to look into those. :)

Reaction score
We don't do a lot of baking in the summer either. Mostly, we make ice cream or ice cream cakes if something calls for celebration (they can be made to be fun or more dressed up). Lots of puddings too (with avocado, not dairy etc). SOOO many treats to make still in the summer :)

Reaction score
Icebox cakes are pretty easy to make during the summer if you don't want to heat the house up, but I usually make frozen desserts in hot weather anyway.

Reaction score
I make ice cream cakes or pies for birthdays in the summertime. I also will make a few things in the spring when it is still cool outside and freeze them so I can bring them out and thaw them and they still taste delicious. Zucchinini breads and cookies freeze really well and it is always a nice treat for my family.

Reaction score
My favorite season is the summer. I tend to bake more in the summer. I like the warm weather. I do not bake as much in the winter. I make a big dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I bake pies, cakes and cookies during the holidays.There are more birthdays in my family in the summer. I bake birthday cakes for my family.

Ask a Question