What's Something You Bake That Reminds You of Back Home?

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Is there anything you back once in awhile that reminds you of back home? Is there a certain baking aroma that just reminds you of something your mother, grandmother, or someone else close to you used to make? My mother always makes a signature white cake with butter-cream frosting. Whenever I smell someone making a homemade white cake, the smell reminds me of being back home. What signature baking dishes bring you back to your childhood?

Reaction score
My mum makes an amazing chocolate fudge cake, so that always reminds me of home. None other compares to her's though. I get really excited when I come home from university to find that she's made some (which happens quite often!). :D

Reaction score
I didn't have such a great childhood so I can never relate to the family baking stories. But caramel made by boiling a can of condensed milk reminds me of my grandmother because the first time I saw her do it as a kid , I remember thinking that it couldn't possibly work and I was so impressed that it did.

Reaction score
Carrot Cake! My mom would always bake carrot cakes, and would put chocolate frosting over it cause she knows I love chocolate frosting! I love baking carrot cakes cause it reminds me of her :)
Of course, my cake is nowhere near as good as hers!

Reaction score
My mother rarely cooked, let alone baked. Therefore, I don't remember any wonderful kitchen aromas. But the smell of apple pie in the oven does remind me of my Ex Mother in Law. She made the best apple pie and apple crisp I've ever tasted.

Reaction score
My fondest childhood memories surround biscuits. Mama would bake beautiful and delicious biscuits and then she would pour sweetened blackberries with juice over the biscuits. This was a dessert for us. I loved blackberries and pouring them over the tops of her biscuits was heaven!

Reaction score
Pie. I just love the smell of a baking pie and it reminds me of my second home; with my grandmother. Her home always smelled of fresh baked pie crusts.. it's the best smell ever :)

Reaction score
Plain ol' m&m cookies. I haven't come across any that I like more than the soft delicious ones my mom would always make.

Reaction score
The Catholic grade school/church I used to go to would sell pizza's every Friday. They would be baking away while we were outside playing at recess, and there were these large exhaust fans coming from the cafeteria that would blow the aroma outside. In the winter time, especially, we used to go stand by these vents to warm up since they were blowing hot air - the smell was incredible.

Reaction score
Baking cakes remind me of my childhood. My grandmother used to bake cakes every weekend. I would watch her make the cakes from scratch. She'd take one cake to church on Sundays. I remember eating a variety of cakes at church on Sundays. The aroma of cakes baking reminds me of back home.

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Is there anything you back once in awhile that reminds you of back home? Is there a certain baking aroma that just reminds you of something your mother, grandmother, or someone else close to you used to make? My mother always makes a signature white cake with butter-cream frosting. Whenever I smell someone making a homemade white cake, the smell reminds me of being back home. What signature baking dishes bring you back to your childhood?

For me, it's chocolate no bake cookies. I can remember making these with my mother when I was a little girl. This is still one of my favorite recipes to make. Just the smell of the chocolate and the peanut butter is enough to transport me back in time to my childhood.

Reaction score
I make applesauce cookies. They were always my favorite and my dad would actually make them all the time when I was younger. My dad would actually make applesauce in the blender and once he would start doing that I knew the delicousness that was to come.

Reaction score
For me it's home made eclairs. My mom would make these occasionally and there is nothing better. My favorite part was cutting open the pastries to stuff them, and taking out any excess egg batter, which if course I ate right away. YUMMY

Reaction score
Homemade chicken and noodles. My mother always makes her noodles homemade from scratch. As a little girl, I remember helping her lay out the dough all across our big kitchen table. We would have flour everywhere! I always loved helping her make them. Now, when I make them, I can't help but think of her and all the fun memories I have from then.
Another thing that reminds me of home is homemade sugar cookies. My grandmother used to have my sister and I over and we would bake and decorate sugar cookies. It was always a fun time. I can still hear my grandmother's laugh and her beautiful smile when we would show her our creations. :)

Reaction score
My mom sometimes made this BBQ+brown sugar meat mixture in cups of bisquick with cheese baked on top. They were a family favorite growing up. Now that I am an adult I am a vegetarian, so although my mom wrote down the recipe for me, I don't make them for myself. However, I did try my hand at making a batch for my boyfriend. Making this recipe in my own kitchen plus the smell of the barbecue sauce and brown sugar made me instantly think of home and my childhood. :)

Reaction score
My grandmother used to make, I wish she still did but she's not really up for it anymore, the most delicious fudge. Whenever we would go visit her for Christmas I would spend the ride to her house licking my lips waiting for the plate of fudge she'd have ready. Whenever we would leave she'd always have a package waiting for me in this red white and green striped parchment type paper. I have tried a few times to replicate it and it is never the same.

Reaction score
Apple crumble, and Rhubarb crumble always reminds me of home, because my dad has always been a huge fan of it. I've never quite got it to taste like my grandmother made for him, but I'm getting there I think.

Reaction score
My mom and grandma never really did make homemade stuff so I can't totally relate that way. I can say, though, that when I bake a sugar Cream pie I think of a family friend that always made these things. They were so yummy!

Reaction score
My mom and grandma never really did make homemade stuff so I can't totally relate that way. I can say, though, that when I bake a sugar Cream pie I think of a family friend that always made these things. They were so yummy!
Really, they never baked anything for you? Well, at least you have the sugar cream pies to keep you thinking of someone! :)

Reaction score
What i remember most was the wonderful mince pies that my grandmother made from scratch, usually for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
In the fall, my dad and grandpa would go deer hunting, and grandma made mincemeat out of the leftover bits and pieces, so her mincemeat was reallly and truly mincemeat, not just the kind that you buy in jars at the stores now days.
Even that kind of mincemeat pie is hard to find. Most stores don't even sell if for the holidays, so if you want it, you have to make your own.
I am not very good at making pie crust, so what I do instead is make mince cobbler, with a kind of biscuit dough crust.

Ask a Question