What's your favorite place to shop at for food goods or household supplies?

Reaction score
I try to avoid shopping at Wal-Mart mainly because I disagree with many of their practices, and the low wages they pay their employees as well as their heavy handed attempts to block unionization. They have too many negative effects on communities, and many of their own workers need to rely on public assistance to make ends meet because they don't pay fair and realistic wages. Stores like Costco have already proven Wal-Mart's arguments wrong, they can pay their employees better - it's just means the CEO and other execs get less compensation, which is already very generous.

As for food, I don't have one place in particular that I do all my shopping at any more. I go to a handful of discount grocery stores to get some specific items that they offer much cheaper than anywhere else, then hit up one or two of the big chain grocers for my remaining items that I cannot find anywhere else. I generally shop at Save-A-Lot and farmers markets, then go to Giant Eagle or Heinen's for the rest of my stuff.

For household goods, it's kind of the same story. I will buy some off brand stuff at the dollar stores, such as brooms, mops, batteries, aspirin, etc... but some items such as detergent or soaps, I will buy name brand because the dollar store ones are way too diluted and weak. They're not really saving me anything at all if I need to use twice as much of them. It's usually a combination of Target and Dollar General.

Reaction score
I ike to shop at publix for food goods. But for household supplies I like to shop at walmart, it seems as if they have everything all in one place.

Reaction score
I'm recently starting to appreciate my local thrift stores for household goods. I've been finding some really cute Nordicware and Wilton cake pans in Goodwill lately.

Reaction score
I go to Target for the bulk of my purchases. I think the prices are reasonable and you can find some cute funky things, for example I bought a broom and dustpan/brush set that has a bright fun flower print. I don't buy too much food from Target because I like to go to smaller local stores as much as I can afford it.

Reaction score
Believe it or not the .99 cent store has great food item mostly name brand things like cake and cookie mixes, chips, raisins and a assortment of fresh things like spinach, carrots and lemons. I also shop at Roots for my organic items and Ralph for other grocery items. I love a bargain, so whereever I shop price is the main factor.

Reaction score
My favorite place to shop for goods or household supplies would have to Walmart; it's more convenient as you can do all your shopping at one location and the prices are reasonably low.

Reaction score
My favorite food shopping stores are Costco and Fred Meyer. Costco has some excellent prices on things when you purchase in bulk. For my household needs, I go to Target. I love the styles and brands that Target offers. I do not have a Walmart near me, and I am kindof thankful for that. I do not like how the staff treat the customers, and the place just feels really unwelcoming to me.

Reaction score
I always seem to feel that we don't have enough variety here in our stores in Ireland. I really enjoy going to the north (UK) and going to these huge supermarkets like ASDA. The variety is unbelievable, I have to plan to this one day on my own as I often go with my husband and he gets bored with shopping and puts pressure on me to shop and go! I love inspecting new house hold items and I love looking at the fresh fish stands.
My daughter was engaged to a man from Ireland at one time. He would come to the USA to visit her and was always amazed by all the different foods that are available here in our supermarkets that we take for granted.

Reaction score
I shop in Aldi's, Kroger, and Publix. I get the buy one get one free bargains at Publix. I am happy with what I buy at each of these stores and mostly it depends on what is on sale where.

Reaction score
My favorite place to shop is Target. The prices are slightly higher than Walmart but it seems like the quality is higher too. Employees are nicer and the stores are cleaner.

Reaction score
Our super Walmart is pretty decent. I do all my food and product shopping there except for produce. Their fruits and vegetables always seem to rot fast. I love going to Publix for produce. Hopefully I will be going to my own back yard for produce! :D
I agree! I have also had a lot of problems with the produce from Walmart rotting fast so I've learned to shop for the at other places even if it means paying a little more.

Reaction score
My favorite place to shop for food goods is Aldi. My favorite place to shop for household items is my local Walmart Supercenter. My only problem with Walmart is I tend to walk out with more than I intended, so I limit my shopping. It's one of those places where I see something but I do not necessarily need it.
I have a few stores i love to shop at in our area. My ultimate favorite is Publix. They are a little more expensive but with their buy one get one deals and using coupons it's actually cheaper to shop there. It honestly has the best customer service as well. The store is always clean and they even help you bring your groceries to the car!! I also love Aldi's... talk about amazing prices!!

When it comes to household cleaning supplies, I usually shop at Publix( coupons and buy one get one deals :) ) or the Dollar Tree. I love the Dollar Tree because they really have everything and who can go wrong with $ 1.00!!!!

Hope this helps,
Danyel :)

Reaction score
I do a lot of my food shopping at Aldi's, but I tend to look at Kroger for bargains in the marked down meat bin, plus I look for buy one get one free deals at Publix. I buy most of my paper and cleaning products at Walmart. I also look at Dollar Tree for a lot of my cleaning supplies.

Reaction score
I love the Aldi as well, but I'm more careful with what I buy there lately, because the last time we ended up buying some seafood there, when we got home we realized it was from China! Yikes! Don't get me wrong, but China isn't known for being environmentally responsible... YIKES! Now I am very careful with what I buy there...

Reaction score
I'm limited by location, being in a small town. We have a family grocer and a Wal-Mart out a couple miles from town on a hill, and in town we have smaller Dollar Stores and Gas Stations. So I typically just go to Wal-Mart for most everything. I wish we had a different chain store here. I like Sam's Club and the rest, but they're away from us in a city, and I'm just in a /town/

Reaction score
I shop in Aldi's, Kroger, and Publix. I get the buy one get one free bargains at Publix. I am happy with what I buy at each of these stores and mostly it depends on what is on sale where.

I love the Aldi shops =D Are you in Europe? Do you have ''Jumbo'' over there? If so, then you got to give it a try! It isn't as cheap as the Aldi, but you can find things you'd not normally do at an Aldi :)

Reaction score
Lately I've been on a TJ Maxx kick because they have really good gourmet spices, teas and baking mixes. But I'm on a budget, so I mostly buy from the clearance area. I got a bunch of Canadian maple syrup on clearance.

Reaction score
Nice!!! Over here maple syrup is really expensive right now! Great find! I wish you guys had ''Action'' stores in America, you can find a lot useful stuff for very little cash. Perfect for people like us... who are in a budget :)

Ask a Question